Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The OFFICIAL VE ALLOYTEC V6 SUPER MASSIVE FUN HAPPY TIME exhaust thread!!!!!!!11!!!!

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
It was bad enough for the missus :-D
But I have a sensitive ear and I found it annoying too.

The drone was essentially present under load between 1500 and 2500 rpm, not especially when flooring it at high rpm.

And yes it went away by just changing the extractors, but it's a costly change.

yeah just checked locally they like $700 new, hopefully can find a 2nd hand one :) ATM, i think im going to go with the NON AFM SS Mufflers (The the only ones i found for cheap at the moemnt), cause the XForce is making me drive in low revs all day. its that bad, I dont even let friends test drive it for that reason hah

the LLT SIDI 3.6 had had the same headers as the HY7 (high out put Alloytec)....the series 2 LFX 3.6 SIDI as well as the LF1 (3.0L SIDI), had integrated headers. Thats why the LFX is about 5-6kg lighter than the LLT.

K a little confusing :) I have the alloytec High Output, so would you still say NO to changing the headers?

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
The alloytec yes you can change the headers IF you want, but they are already an "extractor" style header, they aren't just straight out like the old Ecotec engines

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Thanks for the replies.

Going to give it ago this weekend. After everything ive read, surely it cannot be worst then these exforce mufflers

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Some info for any one planning pacemaker headers install at home.

Plan some time, I've done a few VE V8's now but the alloytec manifolds are a C#$T to get off, the heat shield makes it hard to get to the bolts. This is on a 12/09 berlina dual fuel(have to move LPG filter out of the way aswell) note you need a 02 oxy extension for the drivers side(passenger fits still)

Got a bargain headers and high flow cats from a wreckers for $225, were rusty but a can of VHT has them looking new. Having done them the car has a much nice noise than the normal V6 grone and just running a SS system with afm mufflers(normal mufflers had a bit of drone)

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Had a little play around with the SS mufflers and they are definately quieter then the XFORCE

Some info for any one planning pacemaker headers install at home.

Plan some time, I've done a few VE V8's now but the alloytec manifolds are a C#$T to get off, the heat shield makes it hard to get to the bolts. This is on a 12/09 berlina dual fuel(have to move LPG filter out of the way aswell) note you need a 02 oxy extension for the drivers side(passenger fits still)

Got a bargain headers and high flow cats from a wreckers for $225, were rusty but a can of VHT has them looking new. Having done them the car has a much nice noise than the normal V6 grone and just running a SS system with afm mufflers(normal mufflers had a bit of drone)

You wouldnt have a video would you?

Would there be any difference just changing to hi flow cats? without headers? Changing the headers sounds like a pain lol, so i might do everything else i can first

Last edited:

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Had a little play around with the SS mufflers. (Im hoping they are from an SS? (Are these the non-afm?)
http://oi59.tinypic.com/2ni8dpx.jpg
Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting

Yes they are

The AFM ones look like this:
149319d1347968728-f-s-ve-ss-factory-afm-mufflers-sedan-wagon-img_0324.jpg

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Would there be any difference just changing to hi flow cats? without headers? Changing the headers sounds like a pain lol, so i might do everything else i can first

Unsure as did both at same time, think the cats would make a difference but how much?

Its a pain to fit the headers but if you can get them cheap like me i'd do it, makes my car more nice to drive(not as nice as my 360rwkw N/a VE ute though)

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
Bit of a heads up and food for thought.

I've just again changed my exhaust.

First was running stock exhaust, with just X Force rear mufflers - was ****, sounded ****, droned like hell and was just no good.

Second I changed the X Force mufflers for V8 rear mufflers (non AFM) - was not to bad, didn't mind it at all, no drone.

Third I changed the mid section to the SS system, same size at 2.25" but the V8 mid section has 1 muffler and 2 hot dogs, (compared to the V6 that has 3 mufflers) much more free flowing, changed the sound slightly, but had a bit more punch in terms of power, but nothing to gloat about.

I have just changed the exhaust to a 2.5" Street Fighter exhaust - HOLY ****!!! best thing ever, no drone, sounds absolutely insane, gurgles, burbles, makes an awesome noise!!

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Bit of a heads up and food for thought.

I've just again changed my exhaust.

First was running stock exhaust, with just X Force rear mufflers - was ****, sounded ****, droned like hell and was just no good.

Second I changed the X Force mufflers for V8 rear mufflers (non AFM) - was not to bad, didn't mind it at all, no drone.

Third I changed the mid section to the SS system, same size at 2.25" but the V8 mid section has 1 muffler and 2 hot dogs, (compared to the V6 that has 3 mufflers) much more free flowing, changed the sound slightly, but had a bit more punch in terms of power, but nothing to gloat about.

I have just changed the exhaust to a 2.5" Street Fighter exhaust - HOLY ****!!! best thing ever, no drone, sounds absolutely insane, gurgles, burbles, makes an awesome noise!!

Do you have a video you can post :)

Hows it sound while your driving?
And is this a full or catback? or just the mufflers? Do you have a link to your setup you bought?

Edit: i just checked there website, but notice they only do exhausts for VF?

Last edited:

DAJOKER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 II Wagon
I don't have a video yet - but I'll put one up when I get to make one.

Honestly, this may sound a bit stupid, but it seriously sounds like the Volvo V8 Supercar. Me personally I love the sound of those GRM cars.
Its a cat back system. They system has 2 rear high flow mufflers, and 2 mid section hot dogs.

No drone at all any where in the rev range.

have a look at this website - KPM Auto > Holden > VE I, II and III 6.0,6.2, SS,SSV,HSV > Exhaust Systems

the 2.5inch EX36 cat back is what I got (even though its only listed for V8 models the exhaust hangers, and design are the same as V6)