Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The ones that got away= be it sold / wish you hadn't or at the time had coin and wished now should have !!!!

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Sold my 5 Speed power pack Atlas Grey VN SS for $800 back in the day when absolutely nobody wanted them.

Now they are selling for $40k in SA

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
XR5 Turbo as in Focus??? No comparison IMHO.......

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
My one owner 5L VB SL/E, with all power options, headlight wipers, central locking, rear headrests, cruise/aircon etc. It was a first month build in October ‘78.

Bought it in 1999 in mint condition for $7k, and traded it on a pov pack VS executive in 2000 for about $3k.

Would be worth over $40k now.

The one and only car I’ve had that I would LOVE to have back.

If I still had it, I’d have a first month car and a last month car (senator - October ‘17)

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder Ute, MKII LV XR5 TURBO
XR5 Turbo as in Focus??? No comparison IMHO.......
yeah, both are in different classes. both driven for performance and to have fun... even though i think of the Clubby as a V8 guy, i still don't regret buying the XR5, it is a little gut wrenching torque monster!... both are awesome cars. and thankfully... soon i will have a V8 and the 5 pot hopefully

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
At a previous employer they had Focus' as work car, obviously no turbos but I didn't enjoy driving it. I was used to more manly cars, namely an XJ Jeep, which went like stink for a 98 4WD and was able to hit wildlife on my way to and from work without damage, even hit a wombat and nothing broken. Unlike the Focus that I hit a wallaby in and smashed out the fog light plus some other damage.

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
At a previous employer they had Focus' as work car, obviously no turbos but I didn't enjoy driving it. I was used to more manly cars, namely an XJ Jeep, which went like stink for a 98 4WD and was able to hit wildlife on my way to and from work without damage, even hit a wombat and nothing broken. Unlike the Focus that I hit a wallaby in and smashed out the fog light plus some other damage.
Bloody wombats make great exhaust and suspension 'removers'...

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
the normal focus should not ever be compared to the XR5 otherwise known as the ST, the XR5 is a great car for what i paid for, Recaros, only comes in a 6 speed manual, plus the gearbox is tight and accurate, 5 cylinder turbo engine made by Volvo ( it's reliable and sounds like a V10) a great drivers car.. but hey, as a car enthusiast that has 2 eyes... i love all kinds of cars. you have to experience it for yourself, i have made guys squirm in this car. it was fun

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I can't say that I have regretted getting rid of any of my cars, as I tend to keep them until they are completely stuffed by rust, or uneconomical to mechanically repair, or I just hated them after I bought them. Luckily, the current ones are still in good nick.

I would like to have my 186S HK, my HJ wagon, and my 5.0l VN Calais back again as new cars, but two were rust held together by paint, and the other was a mobile leaking oil drum.

The one that got away was a Ph2 GTHO for about $7k in 1986. Decided to buy it, test drove it, and then decided it would never live up to expectations as something to drive every day. Noisy, rattly, heavy, uncomfortable. And, with hindsight, I would have to spend big bucks to keep free from tin ants.
That one, the LH SLR and HQ Monaro are just like sands through the hour glass, etc .............

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Can’t say I’ve ever owned any car that has become truely valuable. Probably the closest would have been my first car which was a Datsun 1600 I bought for $800 and sold for $800. Probably would be worth $20k or so in todays market.

One car that I looked at getting but got away was an AC Mitsubishi Cordia turbo. Was keen on getting it as it was only $8k but couldn’t get insurance on it as I was only about 20 years old at the time. Still a fan of the classic 80s wedge shape cars like the Cordia, Nissan Exa, RA65 Celica etc.