Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Panel or Pod Test!!

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Test done at calder a few years back with my VT, 3 runs with pod, three runs with panel filter. 11.4/11.6/11.6 for panel, 11.7/12.1/11.8 for pod in that order. I have posted the results before. The 60ft times are where it lost times. This was on a VT SS with 320rwkw.

I could feel the slugginess the pod gave. Can't get a much better test imho.

Little off topic but figured may as well post anyways :)

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
What was the brand?
Just to shut people up, was it a supercheap special or a K&N etc etc.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
What was the brand?
Just to shut people up, was it a supercheap special or a K&N etc etc.

K & N for both.

impulsive

Alloytec Racing
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Alloytec
that solves it for me guys, im going back to standard air box untill i trial a custom intake pipe, then i will test both again.
Final Results and end Verdict

Todays result: A disgraceful 15.1 L/100km, light to med traffic, aircon on.... imho pod filters do not work on a standard alloytec 190 with a standard intake pipe, i found no proven gains or better fuel consumption with one attatched. The 'Induction Roar' is a placebo myth (in this case), i found a light sucking noise on idle, it did however change the exhaust note some what at revs over 4500rpm, which i could hear this induction roar, which i really didnt mind.

As i said before the Pod Filter was one that removed off my VR acclaim, i think it cost in vicinty of $100 at the time, prob about 18 months old.

End verdict for me is to take it off for now, trial it with a 2.5" intake pipe, looks cool but does not do what it claims to. Minux has done the 1/4 mile test proving absolutely nothing, and, somewhere i read people did a dyno and found results. However, we have learned that the outcome could be affected by natural and man made elements and the individual operator and different setups. 3 tests, with unproven results.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
that solves it for me guys, im going back to standard air box untill i trial a custom intake pipe, then i will test both again.

Todays result: A disgraceful 15.1 L/100km, light to med traffic, aircon on.... imho pod filters do not work on a standard alloytec 190 with a standard intake pipe, i found no proven gains or better fuel consumption with one attatched. The 'Induction Roar' is a placebo myth (in this case), i found a light sucking noise on idle, it did however change the exhaust note some what at revs over 4500rpm, which i could hear this induction roar, which i really didnt mind.

As i said before the Pod Filter was one that removed off my VR acclaim, i think it cost in vicinty of $100 at the time, prob about 18 months old.

End verdict for me is to take it off for now, trial it with a 2.5" intake pipe, looks cool but does not do what it claims to. Minux has done the 1/4 mile test proving absolutely nothing, and, somewhere i read people did a dyno and found results. However, we have learned that the outcome could be affected by natural and man made elements and the individual operator and different setups. 3 tests, with unproven results.

Actually, 3 consistantly higher 60 foot times is pretty proven to me.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
If you reset your ECU (had the battery off, reset trip meter) when you changed the pod or if you had reset in in the last few kms then the ECU will only be calculating that L/100 value from what it can remember - So if the ecu was clear, you put the pod and and "flogged it" down the road, then 32L/100 is exactly what I'd expect you would have used a lot of fuel for such short distance - remember the computer calculates the average fuel reading so it is never 100% accurate.

If you had say put the pod on (clear ecu/trip computer) then cruised down the highway at 110km/h your L/100 would be dramatically different. This happens every week in my VS, I fill up and reset the trip computer (Mode + Set in the VS) and it wipes the KMs traveled, but also the fuel AVG (L/100), so as of when you reset the trip computer or ecu it will be calculating your average fuel usage by the amount of kms you have traveled, the more you travel the more accurate your reading gets.

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6

i do believe 3' intake pipe mr

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
Test done at calder a few years back with my VT, 3 runs with pod, three runs with panel filter. 11.4/11.6/11.6 for panel, 11.7/12.1/11.8 for pod in that order. I have posted the results before. The 60ft times are where it lost times. This was on a VT SS with 320rwkw.

I could feel the slugginess the pod gave. Can't get a much better test imho.

Little off topic but figured may as well post anyways :)

was your pod enclosed? because just had a theory, that because when u were at the line up, the pod would most definately been heat soaked and drawing in hot air. that may have been why the 60' times were lacking??? by the time u move, the engine bay heat would have been circulated and cooled when driving. i guess the only REAL way of testing this theory is by enclosing a pod, just as a panel filter is enclosed. just a thought...

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
was your pod enclosed? because just had a theory, that because when u were at the line up, the pod would most definately been heat soaked and drawing in hot air. that may have been why the 60' times were lacking??? by the time u move, the engine bay heat would have been circulated and cooled when driving. i guess the only REAL way of testing this theory is by enclosing a pod, just as a panel filter is enclosed. just a thought...

It wouldn't make much difference whether the pod was inclosed or not at WOT down the 1/4. You don't stage for 10mins like you would sitting at traffic lights (where it hurts).
Problem with pods is the way they move the air, there is a good reason why airboxes are designed the way they are, its all about getting the air to flow evenly and smoothly over the MAF. Which can effect the performance of the car ALOT.

They don't flow any more then a panel filter.
They don't flow cleanly when attached to the MAF (if they're a distance away from it, then the air current may have a chance to normalise).
They're illegal.
The only reason people with high performance cars use them is to save space when you're running a maze of inter cooler piping.

If you're looking for something to improve, a 3" pipe from the MAF to the throttle body and delete the intake resonators used on the alloytec, they're there to keep the intake quiet, they do this by slowing the air speed down. It basically works like a restriction.