Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Random Thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I quite like having a column shift. Being able to carry that extra passenger at times was handy.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Bench seat with a floor manual is always interesting though.
Depends on who is in the middle :p

Watching the LIV Golf comp on TV. Have to admit, as someone who could have a PGA thing on in the background normally, this newer style definitely would be more interesting to the majority. Bit like Test Cricket vs a one dayer.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
When I bought my first holden (HG ute) in 1989 it came with a column shift that had been shifted to the floor. For the life of me I can't remember what it was called. When I put the 308 in it I changed to a 4 speed floor. Now I reminisce, wish I still had it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lex

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Got a valiant at home, that started life as a 3 on the tree...I bought it converted to 4 speed....The biggest pain with it is, you need the original gear selector in the 3 speed column to be able to remove the ignition key....

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
When I bought my first holden (HG ute) in 1989 it came with a column shift that had been shifted to the floor. For the life of me I can't remember what it was called. When I put the 308 in it I changed to a 4 speed floor. Now I reminisce, wish I still had it.
Was it a Speco shifter ?

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
When I bought my hr back in 1974 it had a opel 4 speed and a bench seat.
I had to slide it forward as I am only short . Trouble was had problems selecting 2nd and 4th as the seat would sometimes knock it out of gear. Ended up putting buckets in it .

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I had to slide it forward as I am only short . Trouble was had problems selecting 2nd and 4th as the seat would sometimes knock it out of gear. Ended up putting buckets in it .

Funny you mention about being short..

A valiant I have here belonged to my wife's aunty...She was a large lady, but short in stature...

Because of her build, she had a block of wood bolted to the accelerator pedal, so she could reach it and still have the seat far enough back, her stomach didn't get in the way of the steering wheel...

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Bloke I worked with had bought a late HR 186S with bench seat and 4 speed Opel box. The gear lever had almost a 90degree bend in it to clear the seats.
Then another work mate bought an early HK 186S with bucket seats, it had no console, and the same long gear shifter.
When I bought my HK 186S with buckets it came with the GTS console and short shifter.
Evolution.