Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Random Thread

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just think about all that fuel been wasted when it could be turned in power(electricity).
Probably not economically viable in Australia, or they may have considered it.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
I am the bad guy in the family atm because I am being the handbrake on bonfire season so far.

We have had very little rain. Yes I know the bonfire pile is large with all of the branches from the last year, but I do not want it burning while it is still so dry all around it.

2 of the neighbours over the last couple of weekends have had bonfires and the one last weekend had me worried, as I'm pretty sure its the same young blokes that have been knocking golf balls into our back lot. I have trust issues.

CFS have had run away bonfires & burn offs every couple of days since fire ban was lifted. I think our pile can wait another couple of weeks until we can get the surrounding areas greenish again.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I am the bad guy in the family atm because I am being the handbrake on bonfire season so far.

We have had very little rain. Yes I know the bonfire pile is large with all of the branches from the last year, but I do not want it burning while it is still so dry all around it.

2 of the neighbours over the last couple of weekends have had bonfires and the one last weekend had me worried, as I'm pretty sure its the same young blokes that have been knocking golf balls into our back lot. I have trust issues.

CFS have had run away bonfires & burn offs every couple of days since fire ban was lifted. I think our pile can wait another couple of weeks until we can get the surrounding areas greenish again.
Same here very little rain. My back lawn is actually dying it is so dry. Wouldn't think its coming into winter. I'm nearly at the stage of watering the lawn to keep it from not being able to recover. We had a bushfire near home a week or so ago. So yeah still very much a risk if having large fires.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Same here very little rain. My back lawn is actually dying it is so dry. Wouldn't think its coming into winter. I'm nearly at the stage of watering the lawn to keep it from not being able to recover. We had a bushfire near home a week or so ago. So yeah still very much a risk if having large fires.
we had plumbing issues plague us for the first couple of months of this year, and all of the lawns suffered so much from no water that I stopped trying to revive them, and hoped for the autumn rains to rescue them.

That was a mistake. There is nothing green here now, and I am on the waitlist with the local feed guy for a bin of greens for the chickens as I feel bad. So I am going to buy them green scraps.

Our water bill was high as expected from the big leak, and yet the property doesn't look like it has had a drink at all.

Looking at the photos from this time last year, and it was so very green when we moved in! stark contrast right now.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
Choice for putting it there was because the floor is already tiled (rest of the room is carpet and rest of house is floating timber flooring) so that location would negate flooring changes. It's also a space we currently don't use because of the bar so wouldn't have to reconfigure the living space as much and reduce installation cost.

But yeah. The house is a tricky layout to centralise items in for maximum benefit without some form of compromise.
Even though you have a tiled floor where you are intending to put your wood burner it may not be compliant. Slow-burning wood heaters transfer a lot of heat, and they are extremely heavy. So unless your tiled floor is compliant, as in, the thickness of the tile meets the requirements for your specific heater, you should look at a one-piece non-combustible hearth such as in the pic below. The one-piece hearth will spread the load of your heater, and also protect your existing tiles from that wayward burning red gum log that may fall out onto your floor possibly doing damage.

Attachments

• IMG_0317.jpeg
    IMG_0317.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 21

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So why don't they ban cigarette smoking ?
Ohhh ........ 'cos taxes.

Funny thing is, they increase the taxes twice a year on smokes and were encouraging vaping to help kick the habit...

Now they want to tax vapes because of the lost revenue on smokes....

I did say years back, with them increasing taxes on smokes to help people stop would mean finding somewhere else to get their revenue...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

Firies told me years ago, the best way to burn excess branches is, put them in a 44 gallon drum and have a BBQ plate near by, just in case they turn up.

I know you're far from stupid, so perhaps try burning some off in a 44 ( if you can get one) and just have a BBQ plate by the side just incase, with some meat getting cooked....

Just a thought

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Meanwhile, just another day at Macca's.

FB_IMG_1716465381260.jpg

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
**** all rain for months.

Half way through washing the car and it pisses down.

o_O
Sounds like the time just a few years ago, I washed the Commodore then we had a massive red dust storm overnight. Wow up next day and the car was brown. So I washed the car again 2 days later. Then guess what, another dust storm FFS! URRRGH