Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Random Thread

Straya!

Reaction score
Members Ride
1987 VL Brock Director
22 like notifications since I was last on, ermahgerd I'm famous <3.

happy-dance-o.gif

aussieakito

Holden Dealer Master Tech
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Manual VY SS2, 2005 Rolla Sportivo
suburban is a silverado with a back canopy. silverados are TOUGH. i have one here if you ever wanna have a tug of war. itll rip the kframe clean off your silly commodore :p

Lol im sure it will hahha

JRNZER

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hyundai i30 N-Line
good to see some fresh faces winning the v8supercar races

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
lol, retard.

suburban-49-inch-tires-and-atlas-gears-433.jpg

6.6ltr duramax V8, 1032NM of torque from factory. just cos you can find a pic of a tyre failure, doesnt mean suburbans are not potentially outstanding off road cars.

"Potentially".

Just because you can find a photo of a seriously modified suburban doesn't mean they are good offroad vehicles either ari...

They may be tough as nails, but in their standard form they are crap offroad. The wheelbase is incredibly long, which means they cant cross anything with hanging up. They have terrible ramp angles. And weighing so much, they sink like a stone in mud.

Put 49 inch wheels, super long travel suspension and fancy gears on any car you want to drive on the street in Australia and watch how long it takes for them to put you off the road. I could google a million photos of pretty much any car doing stuff like that suburban is.. but like that suburban they would be nothing like the original car.

Apples and oranges?

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
I will agree that the suburban doesn't have the greatest 4x4ing attributes but mine has probably done a help of a lot more than 50% of 4x4s on the road. Besides its more fun when its a challenge.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
I will agree that the suburban doesn't have the greatest 4x4ing attributes but mine has probably done a help of a lot more than 50% of 4x4s on the road. Besides its more fun when its a challenge.

Don't get me wrong mate, I would love to own one, and I am not dissing your ride. On the street, you would feel like a king.

On any reasonably flat place, through water, light mud etc, no dramas at all. But when it comes to serious offroading, in their standard form they are inferior. Tough and powerful, yes, but not as good as most of the rest of the pack when it comes to actually going somewhere seriously offroad. They are too heavy and sink like a stone in mud or deep sand. They cant cross narrow gullys and creeks, and have absolutely no chance of doing stuff like ari's photo. That car has had an absolute fortune spent on it, and now it can crawl rocks. It will be an absolute pig at doing anything else though, its been purpose built.

I mostly use to run street treads on my cruiser (tread patterns, not tyres). They were better in sand, tracked straighter and quieter on a corrugated dirt highway, and were more comfortable. For the small percentage of times when I would NEED to travel across a black soil plain or serious rocks, it just wasn't worth putting up with Gumbo Wide Mudders. That's what winches are for. That and snow chains, which I carried a set of (some strange looks from people when you live in the top end, but soooo useful on the black soil).

The operative word there is NEED. If you live in the bush, rather than just go out and see how many times you can get bogged on a weekend, you avoid bogs if you can. You just want to get where you want to go. Getting bogged is only fun if that's what you are trying to do.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
I would never by a Suburban with the intention of doing any serious 4x4ing. But I do like the looks I've gotten with it off-road. Yeah everyone goes "nah there's no way troy is getting up that" but I always give it a crack anyway.

If I had to live in the outback and do river crossings and tough tracks every day I wouldn't even think of having one though.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
As I said TVR got the Subarbun in an effort to make up what he is "lacking" :p