Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The time slip thread.

nate-vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
blown vy v8 ute
ET is timed from when you break the staging beam, R/T is only taken into account with a pro tree. Standard racing in Australia is based on the ET only.
Good example is turbo cars. I had runs where my R/T was 4-5 seconds and the other car was .5-1 yet as I had a lower ET I won.

Just thought I would add to this that reaction time rt is the time is takes from the light turning green till breaking the starting beams which in turn starts your et timer .

Rt is only taken into arount in actual racing not grudge racing or tnt . But it is a good thing to learn to nail and get down as reaction time and 60ft is where the race will be won or lost in competitive racing

nate-vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
blown vy v8 ute
ET is timed from when you break the staging beam, R/T is only taken into account with a pro tree. Standard racing in Australia is based on the ET only.
Good example is turbo cars. I had runs where my R/T was 4-5 seconds and the other car was .5-1 yet as I had a lower ET I won.

And to clarify this you didn't cross the line first and won because you had a lower et in tnt . If you sat there for 5seconds in a competitive dial in race this would not be the case

With a dial in race you must cross the line first and be under your dial in time to win . You can also win if your cross the line second but only if the car that crossed the line first "broke out" or crossed the line at a lower et than they dialed in before the race .. if you red light at the start you lose

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
thanks guys for correcting me there, you learn something new every day. It's funny my Uncle and Aunt (brother and sister) both race semi-professionally and could probably tell me all this stuff but they live on the other side of the country.

I was kind of hoping to show [p]wrr-247 that his car is capable of more when little ol' me in my Monaro can do better than his tuned car on street tyres and I'm a newbie.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Still need to know the MPH to know what power it really makes.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Still need to know the MPH to know what power it really makes.

He should just get his timeslip and post it that will tell us everything.

sporty custom

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
i agree with what you are saying with running street tyres for the occasional street meet,but there so many factors in drag racing i figure the more you can put in your favour the better and more consistent result you will have .make your dial in so much easier to work out meet after meet guys on the street tyres pulling there hair out with there dial ins, 8.3 8.6 8.1 8.5 you give away 2 tenths in elimininations your outa there horses for courses.1/8 mile times

Brenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6.0L MY09.5 A6
Yeah exactly.. When I ran bad ET's my MPH was still basically the same.. Which calculated fairly close to the power level my car achieved on the dyno..

RONA78

Reaction score
Members Ride
Corona Wagon Vp 3.8l
1978 Corona Wagon, VP 3.8 litre stock standard, Standard 4 speed box, XF Diff, Slicks. Full weight wagon.

Aspo (n/a) 60ft- 2.203 1/8th mile- 10.120@ 68 mph Only run N/A 1/8th mile

Nitrous (75hp shot) 60ft- 1.960 1/8th mile- 8.806/75mph 1/4 mile- 13.800@ 90 mph with limiter problems.

Also VN WAGON 3.8 litre- Stock everything, Full weight

Aspo 60ft- 2.590 1/8th Mile- 10.733@ 66.03 MPH on 91 unleaded.

mattyr82

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 colorado diesel 4wd automatic. 2010 mazda 3
all the car manufacturers, magazines, high school and general pub talk has always revolved around QUARTER mile times. come in here and its predominantly 1/8th mile! what is this blasphemy!? lol