Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Timing chain again

old dude old car

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve commodore 60th Anniversary duel fuel
My question is, how long can you drive the car when you get the dreaded codes indicating stretched chains. Also what's the fix for code P0521 (oil pressure switch ) i changed it sometime ago but its back. I have a 2008 60th Anniversary Duel fuel Thanks.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Probably until it goes KAHBOOM and totally destroys the engine.
Why would you wish to wait when you know it’s needs repair?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
No funds, then park it.

giterdunpete

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx series 2 wagon
What if you replaced all 3 timing chains using a cam locker. Then had the error codes for the timing chain immediately appear and continuously return for months. Keep clearing the fault codes on the obd11. This lasts each time, mostly until the engine is restarted. Also I wasted good dollars having the the error codes checked at a GMH dealer, who said that nothing could be done until they themselves replaced the timing chains.

Can the engine management system be reset to restore the original timing for the engine? If so who do I trust to do it.?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Can the engine management system be reset to restore the original timing for the engine

The ECU will adjust to optimum timing by itself based on what the sensors are seeing. If you're talking about tuning the problem away, that's a massive bandaid fix and not really what tuning is for. Totally possible that one of the chains has slipped a tooth, which is also a good example of why you wouldn't tune the problem away.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
What if you replaced all 3 timing chains using a cam locker. Then had the error codes for the timing chain immediately appear and continuously return for months.

Where did you get the chains from and what are the codes you're seeing? Underpowered?

old dude old car

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve commodore 60th Anniversary duel fuel
Thanks for your replies, didn't really answer the question i asked. The codes come up the engine doesn't go KAHBOOM straight away there must be a period of time before it does. Hypothetical question really.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Thanks for your replies, didn't really answer the question i asked. The codes come up the engine doesn't go KAHBOOM straight away there must be a period of time before it does. Hypothetical question really.
The chains don't suddenly go and the engine go 'kahboom', unlike what can happen with timing belts... the misinformation surrounding these things is astounding.

giterdunpete

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx series 2 wagon
Where did you get the chains from and what are the codes you're seeing? Underpowered?
Ok It was some years ago. 2 or 3 years. My son owns the car and drives it all over the state NSW. The error code came up immediately after replacing the chains. The OBD11 has always cleared the errors (8 and 9 and 17 and 18 and 19 all preceded with P00 as I remember).

Sometimes and more frequently these days the car goes into limp mode. This is mostly fixed by clearing the error codes but sometimes he removes the negative battery terminal for 10 minutes. He is getting sick and tired of having to do this.
I took the car to Col Crawfords at Brookvale a year or so ago.....waste of time and money....They did NOTHING
When the car is not signalling an error.....it goes along perfectly from idle to whatever the revs are at 120km/h.
I bought the Cloyes chain kit from a distributor in Melbourne and replaced all idlers, guiders and tensioners and used cam lockers. I did not replace any sensors.

Really I just want someone to say that the ECU plug in management tool will tell the service technician more than an OBD11. But I havent found anyone prepared to say that to me.