Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Ultimate Tacho Thread

97VTSS

You all probably all know this. When I installed a tacho into my VT 304 195i SS the car would turn over but NOT start. HMMMMMM I wondered, what cold be wrong?????? After few choice words and kicking the dog (just joking), it turned out the wire I attached to the signal wire was earthing out preventing the car from starting. I asked the engineer who modified my engine if this would harm the car in any way if I put a concealed switch in the signal wire to earth to act as a security / "bloody thing wont start, forgot the switch", switch. He said it shouldn't hurt it at all. What do you think? As I would like to get a 2nd and 3rd and 4th and 5th and so on opinion.

ilmanguns

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 1.9L
If i may,

I already understand what the colors of cable and where its connected to. But, can someones tell me,
From the cable to tacho, i didnt know where is the negatif, plus, and coil connected on the tacho itselve.

Can someone tell me the description on my vh factory tacho. Cheers.
Thanks for the advance.

Attachments

• 20130124_134824.jpg
    20130124_134824.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 590

catapolt

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0lt vt calais
can anyone tell me what colour wire it is for a v8 l77 VE ute please i have tried all the brown wires that i can find lol
and the ve built in tacho runs off 2 signals i belive so i cant tap into that or even the coil as it has 8 of them :S

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
yarp...pushin' the smelly stuff up hill to install a monster tach into a VE without a tach generator added in also.

93VpCommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 VP Executive Series II 3.8L 5sp Manual
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Help Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi there im only new to the site and im trying to install my 5"Saas Tacho With led shift light to my 93vp commodore executive 5sp Manual and every where i read it says connect it to the brown wire under the bonnet on the LHS Strut tower and ive done that and nothing so i got my muti meter on it and its got power to it so i got my misses to rev it why i look at the muti meter and it goes up with the revs so then i tryed hooking it up under the dash nothing i try the coil pack way nothing (The Rest Of The Wires Are Correct)so i would really appeciate so help as i reckon some out there would of had this problem

Largey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Berlina
Hi there im only new to the site and im trying to install my 5"Saas Tacho With led shift light to my 93vp commodore executive 5sp Manual and every where i read it says connect it to the brown wire under the bonnet on the LHS Strut tower and ive done that and nothing so i got my muti meter on it and its got power to it so i got my misses to rev it why i look at the muti meter and it goes up with the revs so then i tryed hooking it up under the dash nothing i try the coil pack way nothing (The Rest Of The Wires Are Correct)so i would really appeciate so help as i reckon some out there would of had this problem
X2 I returned the gauge to the shop and he of course had no idea. I've got a vk v6/t5, sux not havering a tach.

Largey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk Berlina

I looked into this further today, the v6 only puts out a 5v signal. All the readily available tachos these days run off a 12v signal. We need to get a converter to change it.

Last edited:

my sly6

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vy s1
I looked into this further today, the v6 only puts out a 5v signal. All the readily available tachos these days run off a 12v signal. We need to get a converter to change it.

So in other words it won't work on v6 commodores
What about behind the cluster or is that just a waste of time