Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The ultimate VR/VS fuel usage research page

Redroostr

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 215i 6spd Senator
Hi guys, I got a '95 VS and its done 213k.Fuel consumption has always been good and all I do to to keep that is maintain the thing....ie oil change (and use a GOOD oil it does make a difference) filter change,plugs and fuel filter etc. I did a trip recently and for 610km's averaging 110kph I used 50Lts. Surprised some...but not me...thats just what it does when its looked after. Who needs a jappa aye.? :hit:

bluecar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE WAGON
bluecar said:
VS
V6
Series Two (late 1996 if that is what it refers to)
Automatic Transmission
Model executive
Wagon

Whether you have a CAI (Cold Air Intake) No
Whether you have a K&N filter No
Whether you have an upgraded exhaust No
Whether you know your tyre pressure and if so what is it in PSI 30 PSI
15" rims
How often you stop and start as an estimated percentage (for traffic/traffic lights etc) 5%
How long your car sits idling (excluding traffic lights) on an average tank of fuel 2-5%
How much excess luggage do you take in your car (eg 10kgs – spare tyre + tools) 10 kgs
How many people are in your car on average including you 3
Where was the petrol purchased from (Especially when using premium)
Average speed you think you do on a normal tank 80 kmperhour
Number of kilometres your car has travelled 135000
How hard do you normally go on a take off (when starting from lights etc) Quitely
How big your fuel tank is 68 litres
What percentage of time is the air conditioning on 5% or less

521 km for 11 1/4 gallons. (in a bulk delivery situation with an old second bowser). = about 9.87 liters to the 100 km.

Intending to try and improve things a bit. Report in later.

On 9.65 l per 100 km.

Have ordered a CAI and a red line filter. Put on after a weekend away coming up the following week end. After that should have a definitive figure for consumption of this recently acquired wagon.

Anyone reckon I should put one on at time to see what difference either makes if any? That sentence may not have made sense but I know what I meant.

Redroostr

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 215i 6spd Senator
Yeah might be a good idea....Id be interested to know what difference a CAI makes

bluecar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS EXECUTIVE WAGON
Redroostr said:
Yeah might be a good idea....Id be interested to know what difference a CAI makes

I'll do the CAI first. Over the course of six weeks or so I'll post any difference in guzzling rate from no CAI or redline filter to CAI without red line to CAI with redline.

Seem to be starting at about 29 mile to the gallon in the old or someone between 9.6 and 9.9 litres to the 100 km in the new.

frenzal_tom

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS2 Berlina
VS
V6
Series Two
Automatic Transmission
Berlina
Sedan
CAI (Cold Air Intake)
2.5inch Exhaust
35psi
15”
Hardly stop mayb one set of traiffic lights during the week.
10mins
20kgs
Just Myself
Safeway
100-110
Foot down Sometimes
40%

Week One
Regular- 530kms-48.27ltrs used- 9.1avg/100kms
week Two
Regular- 500kms-43.23ltrs used- 8.6avg/100kms
Week Three
Regular- 520kms-47ltrs used- 9avg/100kms

After the Third week i filled up but didnt reset the computer and for another 12/13ltrs i ended up traveling 59ltrs/656kms

nomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina wagon.
kopper69 said:
As people like nomad have failed to read I will be comparing these results for different things, like premium fuel/fuel saving devices. I may also try things like air con off etc to see differences of fuel consumption.

I didn't fail to read anything kopper. :) Sorry if I gave you that impression. But in my circumstance my fuel consumption doesn't change much from week to week, because I live in the bush & am on the open road most of the time. :wave:

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
OK - Well maybe you just misunderstood. See I am doing DIFFERENT things to improve fuel economy. Doing the same thing each week - ofcourse fuel readings arent going to change!
Maybe you are missing the point of this post entirely. Reading something and understanding it are two different things.

The point of this post is to determin whether $100 K&N filters are worth the $. Whether premium is worth the $. Whether a CAI is worth the $. Whether a fuel saver is worth the $. If you could save $10 fuel a week by purchasing a once-off $20 ebay fuel saver, would you buy one? (This is just an example)

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
My 10c on K&N air filters are they don't improve performance. Sure in their catologue it shows k&N flow better than a paper element filter, but it does'nt say oiled or dry, slightly used or brand new out of box. The only advantage is you can regularly clean the filter at the cost of filter oil and degreaser.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Fair enough but it is worth a try. From every study I have seen about premium petrol the result is always:

For the extra cost of higher octane fuel the extra kms you get is so small you arent getting your money worth. I think one comparasion showed 98% octane got 0.7% more kms but cost 5% more or something along those lines. I have never really known whether premium is better or not, I guess no one really does yet. Fuel companies promote it but they do make more $ off it so ofcourse they would.

The result on premium is always the same. Unless your car needs a higher octane fuel, you dont need it.

Cars made in Australia are made for 91% octane. They burn it cleanly.

The main promotional note by petrol companies is that it runs your car cleaner, but I have never seen this proof and I think they would struggle to produce some sort of result.

Results on this post by one member, kwlumley, shows this. I will also try premium too, for the results.

I was unsure for a while but Im pretty confident of the following now:

1) You may get slightly more kms out of a tank of premium but the cost is not worth it

2)Premium has not proven to run any cleaner in any Australian built car.

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
i've run ULP,PULP and BP ultimate. I get the best km's out of PULP, PULP=350KM, ULP=280, Ultimate=200!, I give my car a hard time (once it's warm lol) and noticed the ultimate would last ages when driving like a grandma but then would suck it back when my foot went down. ULP gulps down grandma or boy racer, and PULP is the best all round economy for me. My car CAN get 500km around town if i baby it on PULP and worse on ULP.

PS. I'm interested to see what the K&N does to the fuel.