Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The ultimate VR/VS fuel usage research page

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
Radar said:
How are you guys telling exactly how much fuel is used. Distance is easy, just the trip meter, but how do I find out exactly how much fuel I've used?

when you fill your tank up at the servo?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
Radar said:
How are you guys telling exactly how much fuel is used. Distance is easy, just the trip meter, but how do I find out exactly how much fuel I've used?

easy, when you fill up you look at how many litres you just put in....granted this only works when you fill the tank each time.

dontsailbackwards

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6 '94
My Economy looks a lot like Koontz's.

Stock VR Calais, mostly just me (no mates - boohoo), just outside peak hour, inner-city BUT only 15k's each way to work so a lot of that is while the engine is cold & running rich. Driven moderately. A/c - climate control on all the time (it's bloody wonderful!). Economy is much better when there's a bit of momentum.

Keep the receipts if you want a record of fuel use - it's on the tax invoice.

Did you know ... if you claim your car expenses on a cents-per-kilometer basis you can also claim a percentage (it varies with km) of the GST on ALL car expenses if you're registered for the GST ?... he says, having chucked all the fuel receipts for the last 2 years. Doh!

Radar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
Fair enough, I just assumed you guys had fancy fuel meters or something. When I fill up, I usually have at least 10% of a tank left, mainly because there's stuffall servos near me.

Koontz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
yeah all i do is keep get a reciept and then write how many kms are on my trip onto the reciept and reset it before i drive off from the pump.

it relies on you filling your tank up though. i goto the first click. there is no way you could measure it if your only putting 20 bucks in at a time.

to work it out all you do is divide liters used by kms travelled and multiply by 100.

Example:

40 / 267 = .1498

.1498 * 100 = 14.98 L / 100km

vs_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6 Wagon and VT Exec V6 Wagon
I noticed no LPG figures as yet...

VS
V6
Series Two
Automatic Transmission
Dual Fuel
Acclaim
Wagon
CAI - Yes
K&N filter - Yes
Upgraded exhaust - Yes
Tyre pressure – 35 PSI
What size rims - 15”
Excess luggage – Up to 100kgs – LPG tank, spare tyre, tools
How many people are in your car on average including you - One
Where was the petrol purchased from - Shell
Average speed you think you do on a normal tank – 40kms/hour
Number of kilometres your car has travelled – 195,000kms
Fuel tank – 68L
LPG Fuel tank - 60L (Fills to 80% - 50L)
Air con - 5% of the time
Average - 16 L/100km :driving: - 70% city, 30% freeway

I use my odometer reading to determine my LPG level, so for the last 5 years I have been noting the fuel economy figures. And I use cruise control around 75% of the time.

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
vs_wagon said:
I noticed no LPG figures as yet...

Average - 16 L/100km :driving: - 70% city, 30% freeway

I have LPG and very similar setup to you (I'm at 250k though). I'm about 60/40 freeway/city and I get around 14. Country trips I get about 11.

Clacks

grahamlynch

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ex s2
ecconomy vs power

Hi my name is Graham this is my first post. I recently bought a vr sw with a v6. Long story short I think it may be better to drive in power instead of ecconomy when city driving. I do not have a trip computer, someone who has may be able to help. I want to experiment with this perhaps with the help of others we can find if it does help the ecconomy. I have been thinking that it could be working too hard in 4th gear sometimes and today I did a bit of searching on the net and came up with this page. If you read the paragraph just under the second picture you will see that a test he did proved a better ecconomy in power when city driving. He is speaking about a supercharged vs but I think that it could only prove better for a standard motor as the supercharged motor will have a lot more torque.

Graham.

http://hh.hansenits.com/model/v/review__vs_holden_calais_s_c_v.html

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
the switching on/off of the power button simply changes between a different set of shift patterns for the electronic transmission (4L60E)...the power button utilises a pattern with shifts at a higher rpm than when in economy.
when driving in the city and the converter doesnt need to lock up (ie,not over 80k's) the difference between power and economy is very minimal...on a freeway/ open road etc...it would be a different story

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
^^^^ Thats what I thought. Im have read someone before saying after a bit of experimenting they were most happy with standard mode in drive for all trips. Best fuel economy and power.