Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

There was an almighty KABOOM in my SV6 engine( ecotech)

Sallianne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 My 10
Background:- just coming out from a 40kms zone going to 100kms my car wouldn't kick into gear ..rev's over 6000. We hadn't reached 100kms/hr, my husband took his foot off the accelerator and then the was this grinding noise and then this almighty KABOOM. BELLs and lights and the car stopped. Eventually, in the limp mode, we got it back to the house. Towed away to the holden dealership bought from as only 2 weeks ago they had replaced the timing chain.I spoke with them yesterday and I was told the car was ok running fine preliminary tests not showing up anything.My comment was a car doesn't stop like that for any reason. Today the have said it's not all good news well it is for them, it's not the timing chain. The sump is ok but they think it's something to do with the bottom end and the won't be able to know what until next week. So I'm more or less looking for ideas and rough costing and should I keep this car.....the timing chain was an issue at 68000kms it has 90000kms on the dial it has been well cared for....so I'm just perplexed ...thoughts appreciated

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Did you check the oil recently, did it have any?

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Was it noisy to drive back home under limp mode? for example rattly, missing badly, blowing smoke?

Sallianne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 My 10
Was it noisy to drive back home under limp mode? for example rattly, missing badly, blowing smoke?

noisy in limp mode missing yes no smoke.....but to say it was running perfectly yesterday flawed me and now today a whole different story...i'm confused

loopie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx
noisy in limp mode missing yes no smoke.....but to say it was running perfectly yesterday flawed me and now today a whole different story...i'm confused

THE first problem you have is its a ALLOY TECH motor NOT ECOTECH,, seeing as they did the chains recently it should be under warranty , so its their issue too fix it , see a lawyer straight away,, a replacement motor say $4k plus fitting say $2k

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Would the oil pump have been changed with the timing chain? I did read a thread some time where the OP had a rattly timing chain (but as I recall) no error codes showing. He changed the chain himself and still the same with the chain. On further discussions with others he found that it is good practice to do the oil pump as well as this can lead to the timing chain (and tensioner?) problem. Pulled it all apart again and did oil pump. Then all good. In saying that, you did say the car was reving to 6000 and didn't change up a gear. Is it a transmission problem then engine over revved? If this problem genuinely is nothing to do with timing chain, I think you'll be out of luck with the dealer as far as them fixing it for zilch. I feel for you after spending maybe $2500? to do the chains, that 2 weeks later car is dead. From another thread I read, if the engine isn't repairable I don't think you can buy these (LLT? engines) new now. Perhaps engine replacement with best used or reconditioned engine you can find may be necessary. Sad story when the car has less than 100,000 Km on it. My daughter has an MY10 SV6 also (and I used to have one myself), no problem so far, it's a worry hearing of problems like this.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
THE first problem you have is its a ALLOY TECH motor NOT ECOTECH,, seeing as they did the chains recently it should be under warranty , so its their issue too fix it , see a lawyer straight away,, a replacement motor say $4k plus fitting say $2k

If it's **** a bottom end it has nothing to do with the chains and isn't the dealership's problem. Any lawyer worth their salt won't touch that.

Newer VE's tend not to need timing chains unless servicing has been neglected so I would almost bet on the fact that there's a bit of sludge buildup in it and that's blocked an oil gallery feeding the bottom end or similar.

Sallianne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 My 10

i fought them fitting the chain only had to pay $610 .....it's under warranty for 2yrs or 50000kms

Sallianne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 My 10
If it's **** a bottom end it has nothing to do with the chains and isn't the dealership's problem. Any lawyer worth their salt won't touch that.

Newer VE's tend not to need timing chains unless servicing has been neglected so I would almost bet on the fact that there's a bit of sludge buildup in it and that's blocked an oil gallery feeding the bottom end or similar.

they said there wasn't any sludging...in the slump