Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

There was an almighty KABOOM in my SV6 engine( ecotech)

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Can you keep us informed of what action is taking place in regards to the repairs please.

Sallianne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 My 10
will do....just out of curiosity is there anyone else i could contact a seek advice?

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Maybe RACV might be able to give you some advice if you were a member, worth trying i guess. Or find a good workshop that specializes in holden like Walkinshaw Performance.

Sallianne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 My 10
Maybe RACV might be able to give you some advice if you were a member, worth trying i guess. Or find a good workshop that specializes in holden like Walkinshaw Performance.

Hi Pebbs finally got some good adivce from some who worked for Holden, valuable info.....will let you know what the outcome is...gong in fully charged ...1st thing is to make a call to Consumer Affairs....then the Service Manager go see him ...and get my oil filter work sheets etc that's just a few things....

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Good on you, hope it works out ok for you, it certainly has taken its time, hope your dads good.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
they said there wasn't any sludging...in the slump

Seriously though would they 1. admit to you if the vehicle hadn't been regularly serviced 2. acknowledge the presence of any sludge in a vehicle they sold !!! Me thinks not. Good luck.

Sallianne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 My 10
Anecdotally this a common problem post timing chain replacement,but hard to prove so I have learnt and still hearing. I never receive the expert report that they did I asked see this and asked for all of my service records including the one that should have happened when we bought the car....which didn't happen....so the car has gone 34000kms without a service ( because I was 7000kms over myself) I asked for 3 quotes ...1)what it would cost to replace with a new engine ...2) what it would cost for a recond engine and 3) a question that has never been asked what would you give me as a trade in and they fix it up to sell...I got 1 quote the recond $9200.....the verbal quote for replacing all the parts $8200...and with labour would by $13000. So it's sitting on the back of a tow truck...apparently because of the type of engine so i have been told ...there aren't any new ones in Australia...

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Anecdotally this a common problem post timing chain replacement,but hard to prove so I have learnt and still hearing. I never receive the expert report that they did I asked see this and asked for all of my service records including the one that should have happened when we bought the car....which didn't happen....so the car has gone 34000kms without a service ( because I was 7000kms over myself) I asked for 3 quotes ...1)what it would cost to replace with a new engine ...2) what it would cost for a recond engine and 3) a question that has never been asked what would you give me as a trade in and they fix it up to sell...I got 1 quote the recond $9200.....the verbal quote for replacing all the parts $8200...and with labour would by $13000. So it's sitting on the back of a tow truck...apparently because of the type of engine so i have been told ...there aren't any new ones in Australia...

I have read the same about new engine before, the engine type referred to is LLT, although still a 3.6 the replacement for LLT engine is LFX. I believe not so easy to just replace the LLT with an LFX. Other than a reconditioned engine you could get a used LLT fitted, but you wouldn't know what how good or bad that engine might be, it may serve you well, or it may not. As you've learned the hard way, servicing these engines is critical. I don't know if they still do it as they used to, but historically Repco always was to do reconditioned engines. If it was Holden that are quoting you $13000 for a reconditioned engine from the "what trade in will you give me as it now" question, it would be a very low number as the trade in value of an MY10 is probably about $10,000 (I traded a November 09 build MY10 SV6 about 22 months ago and I got either $12,000 or $12,500 trade in - that SV6 was 5 years old and had 109,000Km on it at the time). You may find a wrecker who will do an engine swap and give you limited warranty for a lot less money, but it would have risk. I think spending $13,000 on the car isn't an economic repair given the car is barely worth that figure.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Just adding from Wiki, some info on the LFX. According to Wiki, for Holden the LFX was fitted to MY12 VE II Commodore from late 2011, right through to current VF.

The LFX is an enhanced version of the LLT engine. Introduced in the MY2012 Chevrolet Camaro LS, it is 20.5 pounds (9.3 kg) lighter than the LLT, due to a redesigned cylinder head and integrated exhaust manifold, and composite intake manifold. Other components like the fuel injectors, intake valves, and fuel pump have also been updated. Power and torque are up slightly from the LLT. The compression ratio is 11.5:1. The LFX also features E85 flex-fuel capability.