Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

There was an almighty KABOOM in my SV6 engine( ecotech)

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
1) The oil pump is not removed to do timing chains, nor is the sprocket on the front of the crank

2) If it was a workmanship issue it would have **** itself a truckload sooner than 10 days

3) We don't know service history (I've seen alloytec after alloytec throw bottom end bearings due to being 5k over on a few intervals in a row)

4) Op says that "no sludging in sump" however the sump isn't removed to do timing chains

In fact nothing to do with the bottom end has anything to do with a timing chain job. Unless pistons hit valves, the timing chains being replaced has nothing at all to do with a bottom end bearing failure. Hell most people that say "my car is well cared for" that I see through means they wash the car every 2 weeks, not that they service it regularly.

TigaVTSS57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
Just to clear this up a little, you said the vehicle has 90,000kms on the clock and that the timing chains were an issue at 68,000km. You also said that the chains were replaced 2 week ago? Did you drive 22,000kms in 2 weeks or was that just a typo? Just curious.

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Sallianne could you ask the mechanics if there is a problem with the TPS (throttle positioning sensor) please. This forms part of the throttle body and would have been removed to gain better access the timing chain. To cut a long story short there are sensors on the accelerator pedal that send signals to the ECM and from there to the TPS to open the throttle.
Now if this or another sensor were faulty it is possible that the signal could have caused the engine to over rev and not select a gear. It may have triggered a fault code for one of these parts.
Now I am not saying that this may have been damaged when removed, but a faulty sensor or sensors could be the reason why the motor over revved causing the bearings to fail.

Sallianne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 My 10
Sallianne could you ask the mechanics if there is a problem with the TPS (throttle positioning sensor) please. This forms part of the throttle body and would have been removed to gain better access the timing chain. To cut a long story short there are sensors on the accelerator pedal that send signals to the ECM and from there to the TPS to open the throttle.
Now if this or another sensor were faulty it is possible that the signal could have caused the engine to over rev and not select a gear. It may have triggered a fault code for one of these parts.
Now I am not saying that this may have been damaged when removed, but a faulty sensor or sensors could be the reason why the motor over revved causing the bearings to fail.

Hi Pebbs I asked the questions got a stunned response "well it could be but no ,,,butI'll ask" I actually asked too look at the problem....4 main brearing (1346)have sheared metal filing all through the bottom in collected in the oil and the filter and the and some on the camshaft there was this big scartch on the bottom of the sump....the now have an expert engineer in looking at it.....i burst into tears talking to holden customer car today....I need a good reliable can to get down to mum and dad who are 125kms away....dad has advance dementia try to supoort them single income family hubby can't work b/c of neck injury....last thing i needed....but thank you everyone for your thoughts and supportxxx hugxxx

Last edited:

Sallianne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 My 10
Just to clear this up a little, you said the vehicle has 90,000kms on the clock and that the timing chains were an issue at 68,000km. You also said that the chains were replaced 2 week ago? Did you drive 22,000kms in 2 weeks or was that just a typo? Just curious.

the timing chain was meant to be replaced at 68000kms but they didn't follow it up....things were annoying me one day the being one the constant reminder so finally at 88000kms it got changed with good will from holden customer care i just paid for the chain....then 10days later....my car died

Last edited:

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Wow 4 of the 6 bearings are R/S, something seriously wrong there.
I would love to see the motor, especially the areas of the timing chain and the condition of the valves.
As there appears to be so much metal deposited around the motor just ask them in a gentle way were the sprockets replaced at the same time as the timing chain and were they worn at all.
For metal parts to be found up on the camshaft it would appear that it has circulated around the motor and has been doing so for some time and would have entered the bearings as well.
They must have changed the oil when they did the timing chain and should have noticed any metal deposits in the oil or don’t they look at the oil for signs of trouble?

Now for the big question, ask them how could they have possibly had the engine running, tested it and found nothing wrong when you had it towed there but the next day found all these problems?
Something is seriously amiss here. It doesn’t make sense. Have they been servicing the vehicle all along?

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
They must have changed the oil when they did the timing chain and should have noticed any metal deposits in the oil or don’t they look at the oil for signs of trouble?

If the job was done as goodwill the oil would have been saved and reused. Holden doesn't pay for replacement of consumables unless they're contaminated (i.e. by metal during an engine failure). Correct procedure is to drain and catch the oil (so the oil isn't filled with coolant when you pull the front cover), drain the sump of any coolant when it goes back together and reuse/top up the oil.

Now for the big question, ask them how could they have possibly had the engine running, tested it and found nothing wrong when you had it towed there but the next day found all these problems?

I've seen engines cool down after failure, run ok for a short period then start knocking when a bit of heat gets into them again. It's unlikely but it can happen.

For multiple bearings to fail that engine's had a shortage of oil supply. I wonder how much carbon was in the oil pump pickup.

pebbs

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE series 2
Goodwill does not mean half a job, Call me pedantic if you like but there is no way I would accept that they re use oil from my vehicle or not flush it after any coolant leaked into the sump. The only thing between a good motor and a blown one is good oil.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
And how many nuts and bolts...

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
20,000km of slack chains creating rubbing byproduct. Whether it's from the tensioners, guides or the sprockets being worn down. How many times did the oil get changed in that 20,000km?