Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

thermo fan not shutting down

Discussion in 'VY Holden Commodore (2002 - 2004)' started by SS Manual, Jan 2, 2011.

1. SS Manual

SS Manual New Member

Members Ride:
    VY SS UTE
    Hi all,

Have had an issue after pulling up at home yesterday in my ute, thermo fan was still running after I turned ignition off.... Couldn't work out the prob so undid the battery. Went back to start it this morning, after re-attaching the battery terminal the fan came on again instantly.

Had a read through several forums to try and diagnose the problem. Most posts were saying it was a relay that needed replacing...

Went and identified the relay that when pulled out would shut down the fan and drove down to Supercheap to pick up another one ( It's the 5 lug engine cooling fan relay 1 in the owners handbook) . Upon installing the new relay the problem hasn't gone away...

I suspect it could be something else, perhaps a dodgy wire somewhere?, coolant thermostat?
    Has this happened to anyone else and did you find an answer before booking it in for some professional help?

Regards,

SS Manual.

2. richo7502000

richo7502000 Member

Members Ride:
    Gen F GTS, Harley Davidson VRSCF V-Rod Muscle
    Its normally the relay because Holden even released a Techline on this one as they had heaps of this occuring!
    By chance did you start the car and switch it off again, the BCm may have hung up too locking the fault in.
    Cheers
    Richo

3. SS Manual

SS Manual New Member

Members Ride:
    VY SS UTE
    I did try restarting and running the engine the first time it happened yes, probably ran it for about five/ten seconds. Didn't sort the problem so went about undoing the battery terminal after that.

You say it's a common fault Richo, the new relay hasn't seen any difference with the issue.

With the BCM "hanging up" do you mean that it has saved it in its memory to keep the fan running non-stop?

If so, would I having undone the battery terminal and leaving it overnight not have re-set the BCM, is there a simple way to reset the BCM? Will do a search.

Thanks for your feedback mate,

Regards,

SS Manual.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  4. jetboy

jetboy You learn til u die

Members Ride:
    VT exec
    prob incorrect relay , i went to supercheap to get some relays in cluding the 5 pin one and some 4 pin ones an they were incorrect ( numbering on the poles) went to a few other spare parts joints and had the same problem , most of the relays that they stock are for driving lights etc . goto an autolec or holden and get the correct relays . They arnt expensive for genuine ones from your dealer . I had this same problem !!!!

5. Dr HaxZaw

Dr HaxZaw New Member

Members Ride:
    R34 GT-T
    the holden one costs the same as the ones at repco or supercheap anyway... tell em which one it is and you know youve got the right relay... no point messing about only to find you got the wrong relay

6. SS Manual

SS Manual New Member

Members Ride:
    VY SS UTE
    Just had a look at the numbering on the posts, 3 of them match up albeit one is an 87a the other an 87.

The other two are out, with the original one stamped 98, supercheap one stamped 30. The other incorrect post the original is stamped 30, supercheap one stamped 86.

Will pick up the correct replacement relay on Tuesday and fingers crossed the problem is no longer.

7. Claudy

Claudy French Com

Members Ride:
    Manual Gen3 VT SS + V6 VT manual turbo
    So did it fix it?? Coz I just havin same problem as

8. SS Manual

SS Manual New Member

Members Ride:
    VY SS UTE
    Yes, fixed it instantly.

9. Coaly69

Coaly69 New Member

Members Ride:
    '05 VZ SV8 Auto
    Had same prob in my vz sv8, disconnected the thermo plug behind the radiator for the day an problem solved. Seemed to be plug wasn't fully pushed in allowing moisture to bridge the gap with igniton off. 2 weeks later hasn't happened again.

-Coaly.

10. 1991_Vn2nV

1991_Vn2nV New Member

Members Ride:
    91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
    My thermo fan is running non stop when the ignition is on, anyone know what the cause to that may be? It switches off with the ignition but runs non stop as soon as the engine is running? Engine is not running hot obviously, considering it starts as soon as the car does too. Perhaps a temp sensor somewhere?

11. Coaly69

Coaly69 New Member

Members Ride:
    '05 VZ SV8 Auto
    I wouldn't be too worried unless it stops and engine gets hot, or keeps going when engine is off. Think of it as a pro-active fan, but yeah makes you uneasy when there is something not working as it should. Does it kick on with the car off/ignition on? Have you tried it on a cold morning?

12. mx kid

mx kid 5th pinned

Members Ride:
    VXII CLUBSPORT
    ive had the exact same problem in my VS ute about 6 months ago. think its an aftermarket thermo but it was the relay that caused the problem.
    i just blew another one last nite changing the battery, must of shorted it out. ive got a switch inside the cabin to manually turn the thermo on and off. i switch it on all the time. better safe than sorry.

13. Wheatley098

Wheatley098 Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore VE SSV Ute
    Could you upload a quick video on how to swap relays and where to find? Having the same problem with my VE Ute :/

14. CONROD

CONROD Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
    For what its worth stick with Genuine gear after all if the original one has lasted 10 years its proven itself and 90% of time its on par with the price of a cheap arse generic look a like.Good to hear its all sorted mate:lock:

sixes likes this.
  15. Stattogirl

Stattogirl New Member

Members Ride:
    WL statesman
    Hey I have an 05 Statemans thermo fans aren't turning on until the car is off. Would this be a relay issue aswell or something completely different thank you