Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

They say its the tyres...

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
I gotta get some feedback of you guys;

My WK Caprice shakes a bit when I drive between 80 - 100 km/h. Its not a serious shake but its a shake.

The mechanic balanced the wheels today, rotated the tyres and said besides changing the tyres (goodyear), which he says are not in bad condition and have plenty of thread left, there is nothing else he can think of trying... he says its a fine car, no suspension issues etc.

I may be OVER PICKY about this thing... I'm know for it. I got a question for everyone; when you drive at 100km/h on the freeway (where else would you drive at that speed :whistling) how much shake to you get in your steering wheel? I just wanna compare.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
shouldnt b any at all. did he tell u wat the tyres were like wen he rotated them? (not tread wise) if theres some vibrations he should have put each tyre and rim on the wheel balancer 2 see if there was movement from the rim or tyre or even both.

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
there should be no play in the steering at any speed.
i had the same issue some years ago on an AU and yes, it was the tyres.
they had worn out of round.
replaced them and the issue was gone.

i would suggest you borrow a set of rims with a good set of tyres on them just to see.
nothing stopping you putting the rear tyres on the front is there - just to see.

Commydoor

born in the FB era
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Ss Blown
Have seen some tyres taken off rims with small balls of rubber inside....sometimes with a few sometimes with hundreds....when the wheels spins at that speed even 10-20grams can make a diff....cant say thats your prob but if all else looks ok cant hurt to have a look....

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
ive had this issue with my VZ Acclaim since I brought it, and the tyres and wheels were new.

It shakes quite a bit at 80 to 100 then comes good at 110

My VX had it too ... Ive just put it down to it being a holden thing. Then again I wouldnt expect it on a Stato or Caprice

Turtle57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive 5 Speed
I used to get some shaking from 90 til about 100. But i dont do 100k cause im a red p plater so :D

But yeah, got a wheel allignment and balance and there goes all the shake.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Audi A4 Quattro B8
shouldnt b any at all. did he tell u wat the tyres were like wen he rotated them? (not tread wise) if theres some vibrations he should have put each tyre and rim on the wheel balancer 2 see if there was movement from the rim or tyre or even both.

Not sure what he did but he said the tyres were pretty round... not real flat spots.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
could be lots of things. A worn bush somewhere, tailshaft out of balance , alignment, wheel balance, loose bolt ? Just to cover all your bases try re-torqueing all the bolts in the suspension and steering. Failing that get someone to safely stick their head out the window and check each wheel for wobble when you feel shake in the steering. Maybe even swap each wheel with your spare until you find which wheel is doing it.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Not sure what he did but he said the tyres were pretty round... not real flat spots.

Id take it back and get him 2 put the tyres on the machine get him 2 show u wat hes doin if he refuses, go elsewhere and dont go back its part of his job 2 point out 2 u if theres a chance u could b gettin movement/vibration from them.

The problem may lay from wen the tyres were fitted from the start if they werent put on the rim properly and checked 4 movement as some1 already said ur gonna get an abnormal "egg" like shape in ur tyre from general wear which will only get worse. Wen its on the machine u'll see the tyre only kick up and down slightly.