Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ThIn oil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
well, the mechanical pump attaches to the side of the block and is oiled, so theor-echnically it is possible, but the chances of the pump diaphram leaking, then fuel miraculously running through the pump assembly, down into the pump crank, then BACK UP into the engine, are really really really reallly low.

if i had a clue what the OP was on about i would post some kind of better answer, but for now i am just left speechless.

Never said it wasn't possible... but diaphram leaking into the crank case???? anyways smoke out the tail pipe(I guess this is what the OP was refering to...lol) would mean oil in the combustion chamber in some way not fuel in the crank case.

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
I reckon the oil is the wrong one. Sure, when oil gets hot, gets thinner however, get a diff viscosity may help there.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
I've heard of the fuel pump leaking fuel into the oil, it has happened. But yeah check the dipstick and if the oil on the end smells like petrol then that could be the prob. If it was water leaking into the oil it would turn white-ish in colour....again check the dipstick. If not maybe it's like wat Damo said, wrong oil??

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I'd suspect that there would need to be a *lot* of petrol in the oil to thin it that significantly in which case the whole motor would stink of petrol and there'd be a 50/50 chance of blowing the rocker covers clean off the engine.

What grade of oil are you putting in the car and when you examine it, is it warm or cold? As for the smoke - if it's an old motor then chances are you will be getting a bit of blow by caused but worn rings.

Reaper

Reaper

machone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VHSLE/VXSS/VXEXEC
lol damn knockers ok on a mechanical fuel pump for a 308 if you did a cutaway section of it theres a diaphragm a plate that sits on it with springs...if the Diaphragm Spindle oil Seal wears out in this pump.. Oil will leak petrol mixes with it then it gets into the upper part of the unit then it can travel back into your engine going back up the acutualor arm pivot shaft ... Im not saying this is the reason thats happening but it can happen.

machone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VHSLE/VXSS/VXEXEC
So should i put my face right up against the sump when i undo the sump plug to check for a smell or wait?

yep and make sure your cars been running for an hour also grab hold of the exhaust for extra support :)

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
is the car getting low oil pressure...?

Are you sure it's not the oil your using? What are u using? I use penrite hpr30

LS1 James

Donates His Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II GEN3 V8 Wagz

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Best way to check the fuel pump is to unbolt it and connect fuel hoses back up then pump it manually by pushing on the lever that normally runs on the camshaft. Fuel will run out near the lever if the diaphram has a hole in it.
If something has gone wrong with the carby causing it to run very rich, then you will burn oil also. The oil will go black very quickly if this is the problem.
It would be a good idea to take the spark plugs out and have a look at the colour of them to see if it is a cracked piston or rings in one cylinder causing your engine to blow smoke. The plug will be black and wet if you have a cracked piston or rings.

Status
Not open for further replies.