Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
And she doesn't want something else broken while I work on it.

Unfortunately the price of vehicle repairs is sky-rocketing and I just have to accept I will be paying more than I used to. This latest one has taken me by surprise. $100 more in less than 12 months is a fair jump.

So yeah government reckons inflation is easing, ummm, no its not. Politicians don't pay for half as much as what the public do, otherwise they would realise inflation is rife.
Inflation is simply the public service printing more money and giving it to people who usually unwisely spend it and inflate the economy, meaning business get busier so they jack up their prices.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I do what I can myself but my skills are limited. I was able to change the oil on my bike a few weeks ago. However, I had brake problems and I tried to fix it myself and it was no better, so I had to pay to have it done. I do what I can on my own gear but I know my limitations and if I go past those limitations it ends up costing me more when I have to pay for my stuff up.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Yes, I fully understand price rises but at the end of the day it is up to us the consumer to say farq, we are not paying these prices, we will do it ourself,
after all, I come on forums to learn and try to help others bc in all honesty I don't play golf, I don't fish, and boredom is the biggest killer of older people like me.
I know you are full time employed in what you describe as a full on job but without getting your back up, and please understand i am not being nasty, the time you spend on here sometimes could easily be spent doing other things like servicing/working on your bike etc
I enjoy servicing bc it is so easy and I get to see what other problems may be around the bend.

I remember Kamal saying a few years ago his marriage ended bc of the time he spent on social media.
Just saying.

And to add… knowing what is involved in the service yourself informs you to be able to pick inflated prices. You can then vote with your wallet and walk away. I don’t mind paying a fair price for a service, but if I get silly quotes for work I know doesn’t warrant that charge, I figure I’d be silly (or a misinformed sitting duck) if I were to accept it.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
I do what I can myself but my skills are limited. I was able to change the oil on my bike a few weeks ago. However, I had brake problems and I tried to fix it myself and it was no better, so I had to pay to have it done. I do what I can on my own gear but I know my limitations and if I go past those limitations it ends up costing me more when I have to pay for my stuff up.
Yep fully understand, I was lucky in that I started working on cars at about 11 and then had mates who were brake mechanics etc so I learnt a shirtload while fixing/changing things to make my cars better.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The other thing I struggle with is knowing if a part is worn out be it on cars or bikes. So I can end up just replacing parts because I think they might need changing.

I do what I can and sometimes I pay to have for inspections so I know what I need to replace and if I can do it myself I will.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
So the question begs, how do people dispose of used coolant?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Next year or this decade? Oops
Hahahaha, a large part of the reason I don't do much on Black Thunder. I like the idea of driving to work and not taking the bus for six weeks because the small job that was meant to take a day has blown out to over a month.

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I looked up how to do a cooling system service on the bike. Seems relatively straightforward with a few things you need to do. Then I tried to find suitable coolant and only got hits for overseas, for some oat based coolant. Thought well won't be ordering that at $60 freight plus whatever the cost of the product is, in BPD. The workshop manual said refer to owners manual as it needs a specific type. That's fine if you have the owners manual.

This is another reason I only do very basic work on cars and bikes. It all becomes very complicated when you start looking up online posts.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
AIUI, coolant is easily recyclable so you'd think there shouldn't be a cash grab from the consumer :rolleyes:

Why, I thought engine coolant was somewhat like cooking oil and thus a saleable commodity for businesses. Instead we get a cash grab from the consumer :(

Guess the reality is that it's probably like used tyres where one pays a disposal/recycle fee. Oddly in the case of tyres, they simply get stockpiled until an unfortunate fire solves the storage problem :oops: Begs the question what's actually done with coolant ;)

Really the recycle industry (smoke & mirrors) peeves me off no end :mad:

Tyres are recycled in S.A..

A company comes and collects them and when they are cut down, they have to be under a certain size.

So the collection fee paid by the consumer goes towards the cost of the people collecting them and cutting them up.....They have also been sued as road base in S.A

Do you want me to post a picture up of said company in S.A that does it?

I also know a company in S.A collects waste oils and coolant...What they do with it I'm unsure....