Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
In case you think I attacked him about it, I didn't.
His 'couldn't give a **** reply', disinterest and dismissal indicated what sort of person he was / is.
When the colourbond boundary fence was erected, the entire discussion of it was a bill in the letterbox telling me to pay half.
I don't want to know people like that.
Don’t know the situation but a neighbour can’t just give you a bill for your portion of a fence once it’s built, a fence that you haven’t signed a contact for…

There is a defined fencing process documented in legislation that one should be followed if one wants to share the costs of a fence with their neighbour. One needs to discuss the matter with the other property owner(s) before hand (that is provide a fencing notice and quote). And, really, the fencer should get your written acceptance (signature) of their contract which would list your portion before any works commence, just so the fencer covers his arse and gets paid.

If the process isn’t followed, and you haven’t signed any fence contract, you can easily tell your neighbour (who must have signed the entire fence contract for the work to begin, and thus fully liable for payment) that you haven’t got any “spare” cash and that you never agreed to a fence to be erected in the first place.

Really, if your neighbour was so inconsiderate during the build, taking such an approach would have saved yourself the cash and your relationship with your pos neighbour wouldn’t be any different today.

Obviously, if you discussed the fencing type and cost before hand, and agreed, you’d pay even if you didn't sign anything because that’s the right. But I wouldn’t reward a neighbours arrogance and lack of input and agreement around the installed fence to push me into handing over any cash.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Received 2 emails from Aramax on Friday morning stating my parcels were onboard with the local courier and I should receive them today.

Missus found 2 parcels outside the front door this morning (Sunday). Definitely not there Friday or yesterday.
Either they were delivered to the wrong house and you have some honest neighbours who dropped them off or the delivery guy was running, missed the delivery and snuck back at a later time to drop them off..

Whatever the case , you got your stuff so that’s a win with Aramax :p

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
91 Petrol has risen here from $1.61 to $2.29, 68 cents a litre. We don't need any petrol for a few weeks but I feel sorry for those who do. Costco is still $1.85 for 98 for when we do.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
So you'd let contractors do that on your building sites?
Nope but that's not the issue.
Issue was the contractors/builders and then take it out on the property owner, weird.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nope but that's not the issue.
Issue was the contractors/builders and then take it out on the property own, weird.
Shouldn’t the home owner that contacted the careless builder/contactors that caused damage to his neighbour property be the one that chases up the issue and get the builder/contractors back to fix up any damage they caused? And if his builder/contractors won’t come to the party, shouldn't he pay for someone else to fix the damage that his contractors caused rather than foist that effort onto his innocent neighbour?

In my view, it’s not weird at all to expect the person who is responsible (because he contracted the people) to resolve the problem rather than him expecting it’s someone else’s problem (the innocent neighbour in all respects).

(Then the correct approach is that the home owner would take his builder/subcontractors to small claims to recover the cost of any corrective action he had to undertake to fix his builder/contractor’s stuff ups…)

PS: The neighbour shouldn’t need to be rude about it unless the home owner just doesn’t give a sh1t about the issue that his builder/contractors caused. “Rude” may be the wrong word but the neighbour should be able to voice his displeasure and his belief that the problem lies 100% with home owner and his builder/contractors and that the home owner must chase this up to resolve the damage that was done.

Last edited:

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Don’t know the situation but a neighbour can’t just give you a bill for your portion of a fence once it’s built, a fence that you haven’t signed a contact for…

There is a defined fencing process documented in legislation that one should be followed if one wants to share the costs of a fence with their neighbour. One needs to discuss the matter with the other property owner(s) before hand (that is provide a fencing notice and quote). And, really, the fencer should get your written acceptance (signature) of their contract which would list your portion before any works commence, just so the fencer covers his arse and gets paid.

If the process isn’t followed, and you haven’t signed any fence contract, you can easily tell your neighbour (who must have signed the entire fence contract for the work to begin, and thus fully liable for payment) that you haven’t got any “spare” cash and that you never agreed to a fence to be erected in the first place.

Really, if your neighbour was so inconsiderate during the build, taking such an approach would have saved yourself the cash and your relationship with your pos neighbour wouldn’t be any different today.

Obviously, if you discussed the fencing type and cost before hand, and agreed, you’d pay even if you didn't sign anything because that’s the right. But I wouldn’t reward a neighbours arrogance and lack of input and agreement around the installed fence to push me into handing over any cash.
Years ago our fence needed replacing and the neighbour wanted a colorbond fence. We were against colourbond as we have 3 neighbours on that side and would have looked weird having a timber then colourbond then timber fence.Told him we would pay half of the price of a timber fence and if he wanted a colorbond he would have pay the difference. We ended up with a timber fence.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Years ago our fence needed replacing and the neighbour wanted a colorbond fence. We were against colourbond as we have 3 neighbours on that side and would have looked weird having a timber then colourbond then timber fence.Told him we would pay half of the price of a timber fence and if he wanted a colorbond he would have pay the difference. We ended up with a timber fence.
Years ago Vic law actually stated what a standard fence was and how it should be apportioned between property owners. If memory serves, a standard fence was 4’6” wooden pailing fence and each neighbour would split the cost 50/50. If one neighbour wanted a different fence, or a higher fence, and they both couldn’t agree, then the neighbour that wants the “upgrade would pay the difference between the 1/2 standards fence cost (which their neighbour would pay) and what their desired fence actually cost to built.

It was easier back then.

But the Vic gov changed the fencing law and now a standard fence is no longer defined (pitting neighbour agains5 neighbour) but worse is that some property owners are no longer required to pay for the cost of a fence (I.e the council if your land boarders a park or street, the electrical authority if your property boarders an electrical easement for a transmission line, etc)… In the past, the old law required councils/authorities to share the cost of a standard fence (other than the front fence)…

Now many wants colorbond and the arguments are around how high, what type, what colour, etc, so it becomes a case of herding cats trying to get multiple neighbours to agree on height, type and colour. And sometimes there is just no pleasing people so stupid fence results can occur.

I blame grubbyments for changing the laws and turning it into a fight between neighbours :mad:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd have smashed it up and dropped it in the neighbours yard saying not my problem if he kicked up a stink.

Reactions: Lex

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Yeah. I know the procedure, but sometimes it is not worth the head-bang to go through the process.
A gentleman's agreement with other two neighbors was sufficient, 50% each, and I didn't have to lift a finger, as they did it over weekends when I was away working. Suited me.

Shouldn’t the home owner that contacted the careless workers that caused damage to his neighbour property be the one that chases up the issue and get those workers back to fix up any damage they caused?
That would be 'the right thing to do'. Lack of understanding of this principle is what gave me the shits.

Years ago our fence needed replacing and the neighbour wanted a colorbond fence. We were against colourbond as we have 3 neighbours on that side and would have looked weird having a timber then colourbond then timber fence.
1800mm Colourbond in Primrose Cream is standard issue around our area. Not compulsory, just happens like that.

I try not to be an obnoxious R-sole in theses thing, and just let others be that way if that is what gives them jollies.
But I am not a walkover, as my work 'superiors' in a few places discovered.
I enjoyed getting my stuff in a pile before tackling them about their own shortcomings after they had 'pulled rank' on me.
Now, as a retired old fart, life is simple ........my targets are limited to telcos and energy providers.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Messaged two Marketplace sellers one a couple if days ago and another today and no response. Not sure why people list items if they are not going to respond. Won't be going past again for what could be a month or two and I especially drawed out cash to buy three items today while we were up the North-West Coast today. I did manage to buy one item, which was a camp cupboard so the wife can find her clothes and stuff when we camp. But still annoying I didn't get to buy the other two items I wanted while I was down there.