Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things that p*** you off/bug you/annoy you

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
I’m not anti electric or anti EV.

I just don’t believe it’s a planet saving solution as the problem is unbridled population growth and resource consumption and sadly as a species we can’t even solve business’ designed obsolescence strategies (because greed).
My favorite saying for the last 30 years or so "WE are overpopulating ourselves to extinction". (WE being the human race)

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I also love how the two love birds 5.0 and Chrisp have drawn the conclusion that I'm a redneck out to destroy the planet
Nope.

I think you are blinkered to reality.

Time to look outside of your northern Tas bubble and see what is actually going on in the world.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
If I'm not mistaken Chrisp tried telling me an EV would save me money. Now while I haven't done a spreadsheet on petrol savings verses everything else an EV would cost me as I'm not smart enough for that kind of computer stuff, I can do the sums enough in my head to know that overall costs of an EV would work out a lot more than my current two modes of transport.

I’m very impressed that you can work it all out in your head. I can’t, so I use pen-and-paper, a calculator, or a spreadsheet.

The numbers don’t always come out how I imagine. Sometimes there isn’t much in the figures (such as buying a battery) and sometimes there are significant differences (such as PV, heat-pump heating, cooling and hot water). But at least I have something concrete to base my decisions on that is applicable to my own circumstance. I try not to guess or to believe something that I heard somewhere because it feels right or feels comfortable. That’s the pathway to conformation bias.

You may have hear a quote from Lord Kelvin…
“When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind”.

Or as scientists will more bluntly state… “If you can’t numerate it, you’re talking s***”!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Both can absolutely be a second vehicle, but for some reason Losh can’t possibly make an EV work (because apparently it’s only good for going to and fro work, and not much else) whereas a motorbike is just fine and dandy (and makes perfect economic sense). Go figure!

:)

There has to be big changes with EV's, infrastructure and pricing before they become more economical to own as a primary vehicle, as currently they're only suited to a secondary vehicle

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I know a few that have a 3 phase ac system and that’s on whenever it’s hot or humid. Chews through power quickly but they live on large lots so can place lots of solar around and build a dedicated outbuilding to safely house their batteries should the economics of such make if feasible.

But going electric with solar and battery simply isn’t a possibility for many peopLe who live on small lots or in apartments and/or suffer (or could suffer) overshadowing as one’s righ5 to get sun isn’t guaranteed in building or planning legislation.

As I’ve try to say, the whole shamozle isn’t well thought out or well planned and legislated. Sadly I t’s going to be a disparity of haves and have nots :(
I've heard with new surburbian house builds in my state, they have the connection for putting batteries within the garage...I've also seen batteries being put just outside the house, against the wall.

And agree with you....Need a fireproof area with them, as those locations aren't ideal by any means....

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I've heard with new surburbian house builds in my state, they have the connection for putting batteries within the garage...I've also seen batteries being put just outside the house, against the wall.

And agree with you....Need a fireproof area with them, as those locations aren't ideal by any means....
Off tangent regarding current mass debate about EVs ............. as we ( ie, me and her ) are getting older, friends and rellies are politely asking about when we are 'downsizing" our living arrangements

In our general area of paradise, we have two 'retirement resorts' nearly complete, one is about 150 lots, the other perhaps about 70, and friends are moving to one in about 4 weeks. One has been built on ex-farmland, the other on ex-virgin scrub.
A few weeks ago, we went with them for a sticky beak of the 'resort' .
We expected something that we could say 'That looks good' about, but I had to choose my words diplomatically.
Under the roof area is a bit less than 200sqm, incl double garage, alfresco, porch.
The distance between exterior walls is about 3 metres, with the eaves almost touching. No front or rear garden / lawn / green area. Each house has a water tank which is used for the toilet only. No need for watering plants, no room.
A Google satellite view just shows rows of roofs after roofs with no green areas at all, except the community pool and bowling green despite artists impression propaganda showing trees and manicured lawns throughout.
But, there are solar panels on all the roofs, and, yes, a couple of Chinese EVs are there.
In summer, which is getting hotter every year, (experts' opinions), these two 'resorts' will just be a giant heat trap, with no breezeways (apart from tarred roads ) and radiant roof heat. Makes aircon essential for comfortable living.

The way of the future ?

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I’m very impressed that you can work it all out in your head. I can’t, so I use pen-and-paper, a calculator, or a spreadsheet.

The numbers don’t always come out how I imagine. Sometimes there isn’t much in the figures (such as buying a battery) and sometimes there are significant differences (such as PV, heat-pump heating, cooling and hot water). But at least I have something concrete to base my decisions on that is applicable to my own circumstance. I try not to guess or to believe something that I heard somewhere because it feels right or feels comfortable. That’s the pathway to conformation bias.

You may have hear a quote from Lord Kelvin…
“When you can measure what you are speaking about, and express it in numbers, you know something about it; but when you cannot measure it, when you cannot express it in numbers, your knowledge is of a meagre and unsatisfactory kind”.

Or as scientists will more bluntly state… “If you can’t numerate it, you’re talking s***”!

But the vibe.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Another day, another road crew repairing the new road surface that is now about 3 weeks old :mad:

I personally think Hybrids are a far better solution.

Certainly part of it.

My old man and his missus just bought one, gets ridiculous fuel mileage and does perfectly fine on long trips.

You see **** loads of them around here. The Toyota Prius is a favourite with certain groups of drivers.

Off tangent regarding current mass debate about EVs ............. as we ( ie, me and her ) are getting older, friends and rellies are politely asking about when we are 'downsizing" our living arrangements

In our general area of paradise, we have two 'retirement resorts' nearly complete, one is about 150 lots, the other perhaps about 70, and friends are moving to one in about 4 weeks. One has been built on ex-farmland, the other on ex-virgin scrub.
We expected something that we could say 'That looks good' about, but I had to choose my words diplomatically.
Under the roof area is a bit less than 200sqm, incl double garage, alfresco, porch.
The distance between exterior walls is about 3 metres, with the eaves almost touching. No front or rear garden / lawn / green area. Each house has a water tank which is used for the toilet only. No need for watering plants, no room.
A Google satellite view just shows rows of roofs after roofs with no green areas at all, except the community pool and bowling green despite artists impression propaganda showing trees and manicured lawns throughout.
But, there are solar panels on all the roofs, and, yes, a couple of Chinese EVs are there.
In summer, which is getting hotter every year, (experts' opinions), these two 'resorts' will just be a giant heat trap, with no breezeways (apart from tarred roads ) and radiant roof heat. Makes aircon essential for comfortable living.

The way of the future ?

They built one of those places behind our old family home (before that it was a big dairy farm). You'll never catch me living in one of those places, they are just designed to separate you from your hard earned money. Total bloody scams in my book.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I agree, but some are saying it will happen within 30 years. I'd love to know what solution these experts have for travellers, who need to drive 10hrs in a day, with 1000s pulling 1800kg caravans? EV tech would need to come a long, long way before this can happen.
We can only hope the scourge that is incompetent grey nomads doing 30km/h under the posted speed will disappear.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon

The way of the future ?
The future is fooked.
Now as to retirement villages, as immort states they are a scam but the biggest scam is the fact when you buy in you are buying the lease on your unit, not the unit itself, then you pay a weekly fee for services
i.e grounds maintenance, common areas, staff etc
and when you leave for whatever reason you/your estate loses approx 30% of the capital you outlaid with no capital gain for you.
Of course for a lot more outlay you can buy the right to participate in any future gains but that costs a lot more upfront.
Waaaaay betterer to stay where you are (if at all possible) or at least if you absolutely have to downsize buy a unit or smaller property close to services then make use of the the Govco special services available if you need them.

ps Not mention the air cons create a lot more heat.

Last edited: