Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Things you've seen at work (pictures)

Trav Man

Ya gotta love a V8 mate
Reaction score
Somewhere in this great southern land of OZ
Members Ride
Black VX Berlina LS1
hey travman that would not happen to be belfour beaty would it did you end up doing the power line work upgrade here in mackay?

I am from Balfour Beatty and I worked on the first Mackay project south of Mackay over 12 months ago and now in Collinsville QLD. Yes we do use helicopters to pull the wire through the air and yes one of the pilots did do Mission Impossible and apparently even done a couple of Bathurst coverages.
Heres a couple more pix for ya.
2007_0819LastEmeraldTrip0045.jpg

2007_0819LastEmeraldTrip0037.jpg

Trav Man

neet_wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 XR6T & 1990 VN dragcar project
My old pouring crew:

Changing electrodes on the Electric Arc Furnace:

Charging the Furnace

Boiling down the steel:

Steel Tempreture (Celcius):

Taking a sample of the Steel:

Setting up the Ladle:

Holding the Ladle steady:

Pouring into the ladle:

Pouring Steel:

Pouring steel-II:

Slagging off:

Anyway. Sadly I don't have any photo's of us pouring bigger jobs, these ones are just little fellas.

See how close we get to the steel when pouring? Your gloves actually start smoking and begin to decay. Your pants feel like they're on fire (sometimes they are!)When the steel isn't in the ladle, at the start of the 'heat' we have to check the ladle to make sure the lining is still there. if you look at it with your mouth open it sucks the air out of your lungs. Its hot enough that it melts your helmet and visor every single heat!

Btw. 1600degrees celcius, thats how hot the steel was when a 500+kg mould let-go and sprayed my leg with molten steel. 100kg of quickly hardening steel on your leg and pooling in your boot is not a fun experience, neither is the 6month hospital stay or the 12months of rehabilitation or the limp and missing toes Im stuck with!

The worst thing though is that it all occurred 5minutes before knock-off!!! Thats the way it goes with these things I suppose.

dirt drifter

white trash hillbillie
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 5L M6 VS 6L M6
thought i would resurrect this thread cos i found some pics u all might get a laugh out of....

firstly, for scale purposes. here is a 150 ton payload dumptruck. old mate in the pic is not small he's a 6ft plus lanky bastard

Companymonstertruck.jpg

and here we have a 250 ton excavator, minus one track. next time u think lifes tough because u have to change a tyre spare a thought for the blokes who had to put this back on.

Photo0228.jpg

and heres some wheelstands, trust me it gets your attention when this happens!

Photo00122.jpg

CAT785wheelie.jpg

dunno where this happened but we didn't do it! had to throw it in, how the hell would ya get down from there?

rdwheelie.jpg

mi04se1

need for speed
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8GT
Thats tight