Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Third failed water pump WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Stock VR plastic pulley is 87mm the replacement Nuline steel pulley is 82mm as is Dayco.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
20200514_181828_resized.jpg

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Lucky you I had a leaking bolt just yesterday that needed resealing.

The gasket will seal the bolt holes then there's the coolant that will seep past the threads but if you tighten the bolts up enough the alloy will seal to the bolt washer.

I just did a set of valley gaskets on a ecotec today I torqued the intake to head bolts but thats it every other bolt was done with feel.
But I guess thats not feasible for most as it takes years of experience to get to that point. So you keep sealing your bolts I'll keep using my method.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I have a VR engine losh I'll be taking it out soon it is clean inside if you want you can have it if you can organise freight.

It's got 40k on after the rebuild.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
His the video I too was confused but once i seen the runout I removed it..
Trevor this is for VT, VR pulley has no dowels. The pulley was running flat, regardless of the shim. I have removed it anyway.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The gasket will seal the bolt holes then there's the coolant that will seep past the threads but if you tighten the bolts up enough the alloy will seal to the bolt washer.

I just did a set of valley gaskets on a ecotec today I torqued the intake to head bolts but thats it every other bolt was done with feel.
But I guess thats not feasible for most as it takes years of experience to get to that point. So you keep sealing your bolts I'll keep using my method.
And this is why the bolts on water pumps end up with stretched threads, which makes the bolts leak even more.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
And this is why the bolts on water pumps end up with stretched threads, which makes the bolts leak even more.
I've installed more helicoils than you've done up bolts. I have $3000 of taps, dies, tap wrenches and heli coil kits.

I've stretched bolts and I've dealt with bolts streched by others. My hand hasn't streched a bolt in over 7 years.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
30Nm on the 4 bigger bolts, I did the smaller ones to 20Nm and the 4 pully bolts on the water pump to 16Nm.
Don't no losh he said from VP onwards don't use it, I guess its just trial and error long as the belt is still on the pully and wont slip off and not fowling on things, you can see the run out so did I with mine that's why I removed it. Check out hylomar sealant in a can.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've installed more helicoils than you've done up bolts. I have $3000 of taps, dies, tap wrenches and heli coil kits.

Yeah, well lets measure dicks, but be prepared to feel embarrassed when I have at least 2" in length and 1" in circumference on you.....

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

I've seen plenty of bolts done that way going into block water jackets, when you pull them out the shanks are corroded and need to be thrown away. A little sealant on the threads prevents that.

Status
Not open for further replies.