Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

thou k over service, but cant afford 2 get 1... any tips?

MikeVXSS

!!!GO TIMMY GO!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7
Hey guys im a thou k over my service and just want to know if there is anything i can do so as not to ruin the engine untill i can afford to go. your all thinking y cant you afford 95 dollars.... well im off work with a fuct back with no compo (dont ask, im fighting it, was work injury) so no money... with 560 a fortnite rent, 680 a month car n insurance, 5 thou worth of computers on finance, and 3 kids. so you do the math.

anyway what can be done to help save the engine???? any small tips or should i just not drive it fug all till i can get it in???

feeding the kids n paying the bills is sorted . but i dont want my baby to break :cry:

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
DIY mate.. DIY..

Pick up some oil for $20-30.. Undo the bolt.. Let it all drain.. And fill it up..

Of course there are more comprehensive details, but that's about it..

Do the plugs whenever.. But yeah..

MikeVXSS

!!!GO TIMMY GO!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7
cheers mate i think that mite be the best idea. do it bit by bit. thanx mate

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Working on your car with a fcuk back aint going to do it any good... get Lish to do it !!! :rofl:

An oil change..& filter should get you through to the next service... how many kms ? The owners manual should tell you whats due at the specific km service...

myberlina

BAD COP! NO DOUGHNUT!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE Calais
mikevxss... i know how you feel... minus the kids, computers etc!!! lol

I too couldn't afford to pay Holden the lavish $380 for a major service... so I did some of it myself. Changed the oil the other week after 30,000kms overdue. It is so easy to do when you know what to look for. For parts, I rocked up to Autobarn and spoke with a guy I know well now, he got all the parts for me and some tips.

Going to change the coolant perhaps this weekend as it was a little more complicated than first thought and will look into replacing the front brake pads (very very low). I have to take my engine knock sensors out to drain the motor fully.

Invest in some car ramps/chassis stands. You will find it easier to access the under section of the car. The car jack doesn't really cut it... take it from me as I tried that. Never again!

Seriously thou... if you have a f--ked back... don't do the oil change. You may only do yourself more damage. Try and have a mate help ya perhaps???

If you do it bit by bit yourself you will save yourself $$$ and the satisfaction of knowing the job was done properly... so you should hope!

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
I'd rather see people do it themselves than the vehicle blow up and then you really know a huge bill!!! :bang: As I stress to all my customers just "FOLLOW THE HANDBOOK" that's what its there for when servicing, and it makes it all very easy. Only replace what it states for the service as the coupon tells you, no need for anthing more. If you have any trouble heaps of help online here or PM some of the other members. Good Luck!

MikeVXSS

!!!GO TIMMY GO!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 5.7
thanx blokes. ill get lish to help me hahahhahah she will love it. what brand of 10 w 30 is the best for me to get??? in way of money i spose. and my handbook is for a calais but mentions the 5.7 lt so should i just follow the specs for that or is there a differance ???

genIIIbandit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Series II SS BLACK M6
Mate, I know the feeling, fucted me back couple o years ago, NO GOOD!!!!
If ya lived in Melbs, I would gladly drop the oil and replace it 4 ya, free of charge, to help a fellow fucted back brother. Tip from a mechanic, dont scimp on the oil or filter, genuine filter from holden is only $7.95 trade and they sell the good oil also, go to ur local holden dealer parts section and plead ur case, ask for trade discount, tell them ur story, worth a shot, good luck with the back and the SS!!:wave:

S

slammed_calais

if it says 5.7 and yours isnt then dont do it, it says 5.7 only.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
slammed_calais said:
if it says 5.7 and yours isnt then dont do it, it says 5.7 only.
Thats what he has.
AirStrike :air: