Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Thoughts on this dyno graph?

chris2872

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VFSS
I had a tune yesterday at Revhigh in Halam, Melbourne and was wondering what people's thoughts on this dyno graph are. Vehicle is an SS auto with VCM OTR, 1 7/8 headers, 100 cell cats, 3" stainless exhaust...pretty standard stuff.

Assuming a 25% drive train loss and maybe a happy dyno:

Stock: 260 kw/195 rwkw
Tune: 335 kw/270.5 rwkw @ 209 km/h (524.8 lb/ft @ 162 km/h)

Which is an increase from stock of nearly 40% at the rears if my math holds up.

I'm just trying to get a better idea of what this graph reveals about real world driving, in particular the torque curve from around 20 - 185kph and to understand it a bit better. The throttle controller I had them put in is also a lot of fun
20210707_091811~2.jpg

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
My ignorance will show here but I'm going to ask the question anyway.

What does the 'Throttle Controller' add that the tune doesn't do?

The only thing a throttle controller does is give you the ability to adjust the accelerator pedal sensitivity, it does nothing else.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Thoughts on this dyno graph?

If only you got a graph before the mods and tune were done, then you could directly compare the before/after curves and either be happy or sad :p

I think graphs can be meaningless in once sense and useful for pub discussions and/or for bragging rights. But a few times 1/4 mile runs do just as well and provide a lot more more fun than standing next to a dyno.

Really, what others think of a dyno sheet isn’t really relevant. The only thing that really matters is if you are happy with the way your car now drives and how the engines behaves at different temperatures, loads and throttle. So the question should really be whether you feel the spend was worth it :rolleyes:

The following post shows on graph of LS3 with specific mods and it’s cost

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/w375-dyno-before-and-after-results.268246/post-2934498

The above graph is not really relevant as I think 2014 VF’s were L77 and not LS3 but it’s a graph nevertheless :p I’m sure there are lots of threads on JC discussing L77 mods and dyno sheets so maybe try a search…

But really, if you happy with the way it drives now, what more will a graph provide?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
It changes the way the throttle body reacts when you engage the go pedal and depending on the setting, will increase, shorten or completely remove the delay when you depress the accelerator pedal to when the throttle body reacts.
A throttle controller can’t influence ECU processing delay at all. A throttle controller can only alter the %throttle actually commanded by the drives right foot and send this altered %throttle signal to the ECU.

A throttle controller can make the engine feel more reactive but funny enough you can get exactly the same response by pressing the throttle further/faster with your right “ninja” foot :cool:

So if you wanna drive like a granny, press the right foot like a granny. Wanna drive like Fangio, press the right foot to the floor :eek:

The ECU will continue to process the %throttle signal it received from either the pedal itself or from a throttle controller in exactly the same was as the ECU tables specify… A throttle controller doesn’t change ECU mapping… only %throttle signal the DCU sees, which your right foot can also do :p

PS; I’d have preferred if the ECU didn’t have many features that influence throttle blade opening and simply left it to the drivers right foot. But pollution issues, ESC, driveline safety and many other functions actually influence how and when the throttle opens and closes, with %throttle being just one factor. Thats why a throttle controller seems like a waste of money (imho) :rolleyes:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
270kw is pretty much on the money most dynos range from 260-280 with those mods.
You can't just assume drive train loss with 25%. It'll likely be more like 15-20% tbh.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I had a tune yesterday at Revhigh in Halam, Melbourne and was wondering what people's thoughts on this dyno graph are.
My thoughts are that, without a "before" graph, you don't really have anything solid to compare to.
Because those dyno numbers are inaccurate in terms of outright numbers, however you can use them to measure percentage differences ... so if you had numbers beforehand, you could see what sort of percentage increase you had, as well as knowing what their dyno thinks the stock flywheel number translates to at the wheels.

Drive & enjoy, don't worry too much about how their dyno is configured. :)