Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

jono67

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 S1 Calais V Sportwagon V6
As I posted in another thread, I've fitted Hankook Ventus S1 evo2 (K117) to the rears. For a daily driver, so far they have performed fine in both dry and wet. I have only put 7000km on them, so early days. At $259ea they are a good replacement for the Bridgestones. Wear rating was around 240-280 or something like that compared to 140 for the REO50's.

I still have REO50's on the front which have done 32 000km, probably have another 1/3 to 1/4 wear left in them.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
@Robbo77 I've just put some Michelin Pilot Sport 4S's on my Calais V, in the same size as yours. Don't bother with anything else, these tyres are fantastic. Quiet, smooth, comfortable and with tenacious grip, these are what should have been fitted as original equipment instead of the noisy, inflexible, thumping Bridgestone Turanzas. I can't recommend them highly enough.
+3. Best tyres for road use I've ever driven on, and over the years I've driven on a lot of different tyres. Falken, Hankook, Bridgestone, Continental, Toyo. They're at least 30% better than then next best. So much so I decided to get the engine mods done on my E3 Clubby now that I have a tyre that I can unleash the current power with confidently (finally).

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
How much are youze folks paying for the MPS4S's? Tempe Tyres looks a tad cheaper than Jax, but it'd still be $1600 for all four (19" SSVR)?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I think you'll be happy with any of the tyres you listed, they're all decent and have great reviews and feedback online.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I’m tossing up between the R003, KU39 and PS4S.
The Michelin man actually recommended the KU39 as he thought on a daily the PS4S were probably overkill.
I have been using Bridgestones for the last 16 years and have been happy with them, but not really tried too many others.
When I bought my VE SSV wagon, it had PS3 on from factory, they were very good, but gone in 15,000km’s.
I also had some Yoko V105? On my VZ Clubsport, I thought they were terrible.
I currently have the Bridgestone R003, I have done 33,000km’s on them, the rears are ready to be replaced, the fronts maybe have another 10k in them.
My question though, are the PS4S really that good, or does everyone say they are, to justify what they have spent on them?

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
I’m tossing up between the R003, KU39 and PS4S.
The Michelin man actually recommended the KU39 as he thought on a daily the PS4S were probably overkill.
I have been using Bridgestones for the last 16 years and have been happy with them, but not really tried too many others.
When I bought my VE SSV wagon, it had PS3 on from factory, they were very good, but gone in 15,000km’s.
I also had some Yoko V105? On my VZ Clubsport, I thought they were terrible.
I currently have the Bridgestone R003, I have done 33,000km’s on them, the rears are ready to be replaced, the fronts maybe have another 10k in them.
My question though, are the PS4S really that good, or does everyone say they are, to justify what they have spent on them?
What does he mean by overkill? Here's my top 3 out of tyres available for my HSV (275/30 x 20) from Tempe - Who I bought my rears from recently.
Continental ContiSportContact6-$410,
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S $425,
Bridgestone RE050As $429.

So there is very little in the price between these brands.

Michelin hands down, but I can't talk about theirt longevity yet.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
What does he mean by overkill?

He said unless I was looking for 10 10ths all the time and using the car at the track, they would be overkill. The KU39’s will be just as good on a daily doing daily driving.

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Another vote the the PS4S (I have purchased 3 sets over time. I am sure there are better track tyres but they are not overkill for a daily imo. Just their performance in braking tests (wet and dry) is enough to save a like on the road not withstanding all their other great attributes

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
He said unless I was looking for 10 10ths all the time and using the car at the track, they would be overkill. The KU39’s will be just as good on a daily doing daily driving.
Well here’s another way to look at it ... what about having more up your sleeve if something unexpected hppens, like an SUV careening uncontrollably at you?
OK, maybe an SUV careening around uncontrollably isn’t all that unexpected given that they’re all deathtraps ... but still, I think that the Goodyear tagline was a smart one, what was it, if it only saves you once a year it’s a good year or whatever. Think of the price difference between the Kumhos and the PS4S’s like insurance, except it’s actually pretty cheap for insurance. :)