Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Throttle Stop Screw

Apoc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN-Series I-6-90
Just curious i recently changed my intake manifold gasket to solve an oil leak and my fast idle i thought.... I never used to have a fast idle... so anyways after i changed the manifold gasket and my rocker cover gaskets i still had a fast idle and i thought this was bad news as i thought id fckd it up and after finishing after like 8 1/2 hours at 10:30pm (yes i know i suck... :cry: )

I did solve my oil leak and the car ran nice and smooth, but the idle was high so i read around and found a thread about the TB and fast idle.

I did the finger over the IAC and my car just kept goin except i could here alot of air sucking... and i thought sht dont tell me i have to do it again (the gaskets) :ranting:, turns out sucking is from around butterfly, loosen the throttle cable no difference... turn back the throttle stop screw and halalooya :bow: i hear IAC messin with idle and bam finds the mark and holds it.

What i want to know is why did i have to change it, i never used to have a fast idle due to TB. Does the butterfly wear down on the edges over time?

Thats my lifes story :) anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers Apoc.

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
Apoc said:
Just curious i recently changed my intake manifold gasket to solve an oil leak and my fast idle i thought.... I never used to have a fast idle... so anyways after i changed the manifold gasket and my rocker cover gaskets i still had a fast idle and i thought this was bad news as i thought id fckd it up and after finishing after like 8 1/2 hours at 10:30pm (yes i know i suck... :cry: )

I did solve my oil leak and the car ran nice and smooth, but the idle was high so i read around and found a thread about the TB and fast idle.

I did the finger over the IAC and my car just kept goin except i could here alot of air sucking... and i thought sht dont tell me i have to do it again (the gaskets) :ranting:, turns out sucking is from around butterfly, loosen the throttle cable no difference... turn back the throttle stop screw and halalooya :bow: i hear IAC messin with idle and bam finds the mark and holds it.

What i want to know is why did i have to change it, i never used to have a fast idle due to TB. Does the butterfly wear down on the edges over time?

Thats my lifes story :) anyone got any suggestions?

Cheers Apoc.
Idle stop screw is set to prevent the butterfly from closing to the point where the butterfly jambs against the throttle body bore.
So what could have happened?
1] Butterfly could have been set too close initially from factory and bore of throttle body has worn where butterfly contacts throttle body bore or butterfly edge worn for same reason but more likley to be bore than butterfly as bore is aluminium and butterfly is steel.
2] Throttle spindle worn or seals/bearings buggered.
3] Somebody has stuffed with it in the distant past.

Apoc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN-Series I-6-90
Cheers for some feedback Don,

"2] Throttle spindle worn or seals/bearings buggered." what exactly are these though? you mean like the bit that holds the butterfly (the flat disky thingo) and its bearings?

Apoc.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
actually i have a better idea.. this happened to me when i cleaed my tb..

take the TB spring off and check the housing isnt broken.. cant hurt to replace it

mine wouldnt close %100 and it resulted in high idles try idling the car.. then reving it and gently release it so that it idles high... then try and push the butterfly closed if it closes you have you problem :)

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
another thing, some early VN's had a problem with the lever not being heat treated correctly, this allowed the stop to bend causing idle problems
its pretty easy to pick, the stop should be almost at 90 degrees to the cable bracket
Rob