Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tightening seatbelts?

Dougeh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Executive
how is it possible to tighten the retracting seatbelts on a vsII? the front ones dont even retract much at all anymore and the back are heading in the same direction... has anyone done this before? what is involved, is it simple tightening? buying a new little spring? a whole new seatbelt etc? thanks again in advance :)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
They can only be replaced as a complete seatbelt.
A quick cheap fix that usually works is to fully extend the seatbelt so it is at the limit of its travel and then put a clothes peg on the belt to stop it retracting. Then fill a bucket with warm soapy water and soak and scrub the belt in this water. This will remove all traces of dirt and body grease etc from the belt. Rinse in clean water and maybe give a final soak in a fabric softener. Let dry and the belt should be more flexible and rewind better.

Dougeh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Executive
alright, I sprayed some silicon spray all down the belt and it didnt do anything at all :p

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
But did you wash them first? - unless you wash them, the crap stays in them and makes them stiff. Think of how your shirt would feel if you wore it for 10 years and never washed it!!!!

catalyst55

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
ahh that sucks... im having a similar problem.

Dougeh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Executive
okay I may be cleaning it this weekend then, thanks for your replies :) and if all that fails I guess I gotta look at gettin parts *sigh*

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Dont buy one from a wrecker as it will be the same as your old one. New ones cost a lot however. It may pay to completely remove the seatbelt from the vehicle to properly wash the belt. You also may have dust and crap in general down around the inertia reel. I have heard of someone spraying WD40 on the inertia reel but I think that can also attract dust.
To remove, wash and clean all the belts may take a few hours and cost nil....to replace the belts you will still have to remove them and I don't think you see any change out of $100 per belt for new ones. The choice is yours.
Good luck.

Dougeh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Executive
okay, got the day off today so I will probably go out and clean em all a little later

VLishes

BaZMeG
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais SII
I have the same problem, slowly getting worse, $100 is steep, if it was like $50 I would buy it.