Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timber v Steel Frame

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
All these people saying pine or timber is crap- are any of you in the construction industry??

I am talking regarding houses when I say this but I wouldn't piss on a steel structure! Their half the strength of a pine framed house, cause electrical and plumbing faults quite easily and are legally allowed to be built by "framers" not tradesman carpenters- the difference being 3+ years of training and typically any eye for quality.

I weigh 100+ kilos and if I walk through a steel roof there's a 50/50 chance there will be a gyprocker called after me as the frames twist that much from my weight!

As for sheds which I will admit my knowledge is less in- a steel frame would be the cheaper option for sure if your just building a box and I even have one for myself.. They do the job fine:)

If you want to make your shed nicer to look at my adding gables or want to build an odd shape timber may be worth looking at.

The main reason I posted this was to say I think people saying timber framed structures are weaker and poorer quality have rocks in there head!

I'd listen to reaper as he seems to know his stuff.

Just my 2c.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
I have a timber frame shed, Its easy to fit shelving to etc inside, but it was here when I bought the house.

Given the choice I would buy a new steel frame shed anyday.

I have a property that Im about to put up a dirt floor shed between 2 shipping containers on and will be using 40x90 RHS in 8m lengths for my trusses for the roof, even on my steel account it will cost about a grand to build the shed 8mx8m basically for the trusses. Then I will be using a fair bit of secondhand materials ie roofing, cladding. Its on a farm doesn't need to be pretty just weather proof and strong.

If you get a steel one put up professionally keep an eye on the guys doing it we had one put up and the roof was sagging and they missed a lot of roofing screws, it ended up needing to be redone.

Also if your handy you could buy a kit and put it up yourself with a couple of mates over a long weekend.

Scott

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
just want to add this to those who think "hardwood" is always better.
Balsa is a Hardwood.
it has nothing to do with how strong it is :p
its to do with how it grows and its internal properties.

if anything I would consider a regular square shape instead of what appears to be quite a fancy one
or even 2 rectangular shapes. so as to fill out the back area a bit more.
as don't forget the shape with that funny angle might be pointless if you cannot get into it in the first place.

me personally. I would go steel.
however im sure youll be able to find someone who could quote the timber version for you. maybe even ask reap himself
maybe contact a few builders and see what they have to say. as they should be able to give you a few ideas and suggestions. as im sure many of them would be able to build what you would want.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
ahh ok. to be honest, there was no engineering done on the slab. pretty much scraped the ground, pegged out the slab, dug 400x400x 500 deep footings every 3m as per specifications from the shed place I was going to go with at the time.

Was there a soil test done? What you have described there will be sufficient for most soil situations and cladding types although obviously the actual design would need to be considered properly. This will happen nomatter what you build on it.

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
cheers reap, no soil test was done. but I can tell you it is clay, ####in #### to dig out!! might get someone out to have a look.

thanks for your help, it gives me an idea of what I need to do.

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Have ya thought of building the normal rectangle shed then build a lean to of the back to use the I'd shape ya left with ? Will make it a cheaper and easier shed build if ya trying to doit on the cheaper side.