Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Time for a new project!

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman SS, VZ Pontiac GTO
Hey guys,

I'm back seeking more information for my next project! It's time to start working on my VZ Crewman and bringing it back to life. So in the last year, I picked up a front cut of a GTO, and I'm taking all the things off of it right now so I can get to the firewall and remove it for the LHD conversion. I'm working on getting the body harness out right now, and I've got everything disconnected in the cabin and the entire harness is loose. I've also got everything disconnected under the bonnet and the entire harness is loose. So...

How do I get it all through the hole in the firewall? I'm sure on the production line, Holden had a way to installing the harness without having to splice anything together, so I'm hoping there is a way to do the reverse of what they did so I don't have to cut the harness. Does anyone know how Holden installed the body harness in the VZ cars?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hey guys,

I'm back seeking more information for my next project! It's time to start working on my VZ Crewman and bringing it back to life. So in the last year, I picked up a front cut of a GTO, and I'm taking all the things off of it right now so I can get to the firewall and remove it for the LHD conversion. I'm working on getting the body harness out right now, and I've got everything disconnected in the cabin and the entire harness is loose. I've also got everything disconnected under the bonnet and the entire harness is loose. So...

How do I get it all through the hole in the firewall? I'm sure on the production line, Holden had a way to installing the harness without having to splice anything together, so I'm hoping there is a way to do the reverse of what they did so I don't have to cut the harness. Does anyone know how Holden installed the body harness in the VZ cars?
There are "how" to's in wiring conversions?

I have done it in my vt. Converted to climate control.

The engine loom is discontected from the PCM. Push the large rubber grommet out towards the engine bay.
Now on the drivers side from the engine bay to the interior feed or the wiring, incuding the engine bay fuse relay box into the interior of car.

I sliced my engine bay fuse relay box into 2 parts long wise. Cut it in the middle.
Looking at the relay box long ways, you will see that its 2 sections. That just made it easier pass through the firewall.

I think l remember people wrapping tape around it, & greasing it up. Then passing it through?

Once you have through the firewall, disconnect it from the interior loom plug. I think you will have to disconnect the loom from where its supported to the dash. The dash pad has to come of too.

Then its just areversal of what you have already done to install the new loom, engine bay fuse box.

I'm not sure if the interior fuse box comes out, but l'm starting to believe it might?
But once you have everything from the engine bay into the interior, it will come out easily.

Hope it helps. Keep us posted on your progress, please. Of course good luck with it!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
A small bit of wee has just come out.

I have been super excited about this project.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’m pretty sure it was @Jolls who recently did this.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
He worked out that the booster and steering column need to be out.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The interior harness is shared with sedans.
Doesn’t have boot release button in glove box or boot release on key or a pin from BCM. The body harness to the back has the wire in it and the wire for it goes to the glove box. Once outside the cab the harness is unique to Crewman and One Tonner. Same harness but One Tonner has weather proof harness plugs.

You could probably adapt a sedan rear harness to the job if the one you have has no harness.

Sedan window switches and sedan rear door harness. I used a wagon window motor in the rear doors to update from manual winders for the rear (incase yours has manual). Sedan rear window switches too.

Last edited:

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Yes, we had a bugger of a time doing this and getting it out of the VZ ute. Caused a little bit of damage to the engine bay fuse box. I am not looking forward to putting it back into the Crewman. A Christmas Holiday job.

I will have four taps operating on the outside bar so I expect I will have the right amount of lubrication to get the job done and keep my sanity. If I get to it first I will take some pics and let you know how we did it. All I really recall from getting it out was pulling everything that could possibly get in the way, as @Fu Manchu stated above, and swearing a lot!

Enjoy the experience - you will feel great when you have conquered it!

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I’ve been trawling YouTube for VZ production and assembly video but have found nothing.

There’s got to be a trick to it. No way would they have had someone stuffing about connecting wires on the car. No way the fire wall went in with the harness attached.

OldSkoolGP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman SS, VZ Pontiac GTO
Going to attempt the extraction tonight. So far, everything has been pulled into the cabin section apart from the engine bay fuse box. I don't have to worry about the steering or the brake booster as its LHD. I will update on my progress.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Going to attempt the extraction tonight. So far, everything has been pulled into the cabin section apart from the engine bay fuse box. I don't have to worry about the steering or the brake booster as its LHD. I will update on my progress.
Wheres the PCM? Its on the passenger side in Australian vz (left hand side). I would have thought everything would be opposite? With the PCM on the passenger side US ( right side)?

I did my conversion a few years ago. Just looked it up. December 2015. So, 7 yrs. Don't remember pulling steering column or power booster & master cylinder. But l may have?

Thinking about it, probably would have had to removed the dash pad to remove the wiring loom? Can't remember, to long ago?