Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

timing chain problem on my 2011 sv6 series 2

ferhater

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden MY12 sv6 series 2
Took my car 2011 MY12 SV6 Series2 to Holden service as there was noise from the engine first i thought it might be the transmission as the noise was only coming from first and second gear, but holden said its the timing chain and quoted 3200. Still have extended warranty and car has only done 35k kms. Does anyone know if this is know issue?
They said they are going to put a good will in to see if holden will cover parts and labour but said if they dont they want me to pay the whole amount of 3200.

If someone can help that will be appreciated

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Timing chain shouldn't be an issue with the SIDI's especially if it's got that low kms. Not too sure about the details on extended warranty but it should be covered and you shouldn't have to pay a cent.

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Found the big catch with the dealer warranty for mine. Unlimited claims to a maximum of a few hundred $. Will change my own oil now.

Rutters

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE
Took my car 2011 MY12 SV6 Series2 to Holden service as there was noise from the engine first i thought it might be the transmission as the noise was only coming from first and second gear, but holden said its the timing chain and quoted 3200. Still have extended warranty and car has only done 35k kms. Does anyone know if this is know issue?
They said they are going to put a good will in to see if holden will cover parts and labour but said if they dont they want me to pay the whole amount of 3200.

If someone can help that will be appreciated

Hey man,
Late to post - did first and second sound a bit like a diesel car accelerating? Like a rattle aswell?
Also how did you go?

Xplaya

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV
Still have extended warranty and car has only done 35k kms.

Can Anyone Explain this part? Has Warranty, but Holden can choose wether to do it or not?

kwaka738

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY09 Berlina Sportwagon
Can Anyone Explain this part? Has Warranty, but Holden can choose wether to do it or not?

You need to read the detail of those extended warranties. If you have one get the document out and read it. I know some of them will not cover particular items and for the items they cover they may only pay up to a certain amount of dollars.

For example if the timing chain needs replacing and they quote $3,200 the warranty may state that for each item they pay only $1,000 thereby the customer will be out of pocket $2,200. (This is just an example to make the point). And during the time of the extended warranty you must get your car serviced exclusively by the dealer, or the service isn't deemed to have happened thereby voiding the warranty, so they are making money out of you in their workshop.

Have a looked at the detail of the extended warranty and you may decide it's just not worth it!

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
You need to read the detail of those extended warranties. If you have one get the document out and read it. I know some of them will not cover particular items and for the items they cover they may only pay up to a certain amount of dollars.

For example if the timing chain needs replacing and they quote $3,200 the warranty may state that for each item they pay only $1,000 thereby the customer will be out of pocket $2,200. (This is just an example to make the point). And during the time of the extended warranty you must get your car serviced exclusively by the dealer, or the service isn't deemed to have happened thereby voiding the warranty, so they are making money out of you in their workshop.

Have a looked at the detail of the extended warranty and you may decide it's just not worth it!

This is true, but c'mon 35 kms and timing chain needs to be changed this is just ridiculous. Get a second opinion mate, I own a 2007 MY08 Ve Sv6 with over 150xxx and not a problem regarding timing chain.

Also i thought they have fixed this issue on the later Ve.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Also i thought they have fixed this issue on the later Ve.

They have, but servicing still plays a part. If it's badly serviced and carbon'd up then it will put more drag on the chain or block things up causing noise. This car may have "only 35k" on it, but it may have had 2 oil changes in 5 years because "they said every 15k", ignoring the fact that it is driven and heat cycled every day (you have no idea how often I see that).