Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

timing chain rattle?

timc83

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS
Hi all
Has anyone out there ever had any dramas with a vy ecotec (done 140000 km) with a rattle when hot at idle, but goes away when revved or at about 2000 rpm? I was thinking timing chain or ballance shaft bearings, but if it was ballance shaft, wouldn't it get louder with higher revs?
any help or sugestions would be great.

timc83

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS
Yeah ive done that. Is a very weird noise, doesnt effect the performance or anything, and the hotter it gets, the louder the noise, its sort of like a tapping, grinding weird noise. i have ran the engine with out the belt off, and yes noise still there (****). The engine has been sitting for a few months ( possibly 12).

IBLOWN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 TT/'13 VF Senator/'11 WM CapriceV/Hayabusa
Well it could be the timing chain tensioner. When i built my motor i had a chunk of it in the sump... The motor never made any noise though.

If its not that then i hate to say it but its probably big end bearing noise.

timc83

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS
Yeah. i dunno, it doesnt sound deep or low enough to be big end, i had a vl that spun a big end bearing, alot louder and deeper than this, the funny thing is it only does it when hot, at cold, you would not fault it. also, when stabbing the revs, as you back off, you hear a slight clicking/cracking noise up the top end area. bloody weird and anoying.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
harmonic balancer? when u rev it goes away but at idle its noisy? just a thorght as it happened to a few of my cars and family commodores over the years

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Get a big flat blade screw driver and put it onto of the Rocker cover, put your ear to the screw driver handle and have a listen for any noise.

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR V6 Turbo Ute, 99 STI EJ207 GT FORESTER
Did you ever figure this out? Im having same problem with my vr turbo. Brand new motor 35 000 old from ac delco and one day it started. Same symptoms as yours. I did recently put high ratio rockers in so have had hunch it could be something with them but am also leaning towards something with the timing chain?

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
Out of curousity how many of you that have this noise have pacemaker extracters ? and is it more noticeable when your idling near a barrier especially on the drivers side down low ?