Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing chain ve sv6 s2 lfx

CuttySV6II

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 series 2 VE SV6
I know the subject of timing chains is on here alot and probably annoys a few. So sorry in advance lol.
Im purchasing a series 2 ve sv6.
The dealer has told me he has just put new timing chains in.
Is there a way I can tell this work has been actually carried out. Or do I just take his word for it?
Cheers

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Not without taking the timing cover off, can look at the top of the chains by taking off the rocker covers. While it's totally possible there was a timing chain problem with this car, Holden had fixed their chains by the stage they were using the LFX. Could be possible he's just saying that to push a sale.

IMHO I'd avoid dealers, particularly given you live in Melbourne where there will be heaps of these for sale privately.

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Not without taking the timing cover off, can look at the top of the chains by taking off the rocker covers. While it's totally possible there was a timing chain problem with this car, Holden had fixed their chains by the stage they were using the LFX. Could be possible he's just saying that to push a sale.

IMHO I'd avoid dealers, particularly given you live in Melbourne where there will be heaps of these for sale privately.

"I'd avoid dealers, particularly given you live in Melbourne"
Really !,
So how did you come to that conclusion ?
Why did you say/target Melbourne ?,
I and other Melbourne JC Members would take offence to that accusation/comment !!!
So you are saying there is no other dodgy dealers in the rest of Austraila ?,
So where do you live ?,
considering your hiding your location !
and I guess there is no dodgy sellers in your area either !
I find that hard to believe !

Last edited:

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
I know the subject of timing chains is on here alot and probably annoys a few. So sorry in advance lol.
Im purchasing a series 2 ve sv6.
The dealer has told me he has just put new timing chains in.
Is there a way I can tell this work has been actually carried out. Or do I just take his word for it?
Cheers

With simple observation of around the engine bay and engine,
You should be able to see either/or new gaskets, and/or sealent around the engine, one would think it being clean at the moment so you should be able to see any work that has been done.
You say its a Dealer, If it is a Dealer [Stealer], they will have a record of the items that have been serviced/repaired/changed, as a potential buyer, you should have access to see this information if its true and correct.

If it was me, I would take a small pocket mirror with me, so you can see in around the motor/engine bay to check for any signs of works, that would give you a fair indication of works/repairs that have been done/completed.
the other options would be to take a mechanic [if you know one] but dont disclose of his trade,
and ask a few questions, and let the BS sieve through the strainer.

Last edited:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
"I'd avoid dealers, particularly given you live in Melbourne"

Just gonna ignore the whole last part of that sentence I wrote are ya?

Like I said, I'd avoid dealers, but it's easier to avoid them because it's Melbourne - where millions of people live with a significantly larger private market than a decent amount of most parts of Australia.

And just because you asked, I used to live on Paramatta Road in Sydney, but I live on Old Geelong Road now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF2 Commodore Calais V8

Like I said, I'd avoid dealers, but it's easier to avoid them because it's Melbourne - where millions of people live with a significantly larger private market than a decent amount of most parts of Australia.

And just because you asked, I used to live on Paramatta Road in Sydney, but I live on Old Geelong Road now.
Well said!!

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride

I didn’t ignore the last part of the sentence,
I answered it, I just said other members could take offence to that comment "because its Melbourne"
Some Melbournians could be very happy with their treatment/service from their dealer,
You avoid them, doesn’t mean everyone has to in Melbourne.

Taking into account, I for one have had a number of good experiences with various dealers [Holden, Ford, Mazda & Honda] over the years with Vehicle Purchase's, Servicing and Warranty claims, so not all dealers are like you make out to be.
It all depends upon how you approach them,

If you approach them like Karen from Brighton, well they will get their back up and provide negative service and treatment,
But if your straight up front and with them and discuss the issues, they will most likely be onside and assist were possible, and provide a positive experience.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I didn’t ignore the last part of the sentence,
I answered it, I just said other members could take offence to that comment "because its Melbourne"

Nah, it's just you. Bet you have selective hearing too.

"Dealer" doesn't necessarily mean it's a maker based/franchised dealership, can be any second hand dealer with varying degrees of honesty/quality too.

Last edited:

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nah, it's just you. Bet you have selective hearing too.

"Dealer" doesn't necessarily mean it's a maker based/franchised dealership, can be any second hand dealer with varying degrees of honesty/quality too.

"Nah, it's just you"
I guess you dont like people with a Disability ?

"Bet you have selective hearing too"
Matter of fact, I am "hearing impeared" ! is there a problem with that ?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
"Nah, it's just you"
I guess you dont like people with a Disability ?

"Bet you have selective hearing too"
Matter of fact, I am "hearing impeared" ! is there a problem with that ?

Sure, why not, that's obviously exactly what I said. You might as well also pull out the racism card that has nothing to do with anything in this thread as well.

Last edited: