Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tips on refuelling from the experts

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
no, i know that.... what I mean is when you stop pumping, a little fuel is left in the hose if you just hang it up as normal. there is a little left to get if you lift and drain the hose into your tank. but again... that's being pretty tight ;).

LMAO!!! I used to laugh at people that did that when I worked at a servo. The fuel stops flowing at the nozzle. There's still fuel in the hose waiting for the next person. Why do you think it starts flowing INSTANTLY once the pump is activated by the operator when you fill up instead of delaying a few seconds while the hose fills up (like a garden hose when you turn the tap on).

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
yeah he means the lefto ver fuel in between the bowser and the nozzle. if you lift the hose up the last 1/45th of a liter will come out :p

But it doesn't come out of the hose! Jesus! READ!!!!

The dribble you get after you stop pumping is just coming out of the nozzle.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
Just felt i should clear something up for the folks that are saying dirt is a good insulator and the tanks wouldn't change temperature much etc...
The tanks at service stations are only about a foot underground - even then, that foot is basically just the concrete of the forecourt, they aren't buried deep underground where they are uneffected by the temperature changes of day and night.
Those round metal plates you run over coming into a servo (usually - depends where they are located) are the dipping points for a manual check of fuel levels - open them up and there is the top of the tank...

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
The tanks at service stations are only about a foot underground - even then, that foot is basically just the concrete of the forecourt, they aren't buried deep underground where they are uneffected by the temperature changes of day and night.

A foot of concrete is a pretty good insulator too :).
I still reckon there isnt much difference to temperature of the tanks on a normal day. Maybe in the middle of summer when its 30-40 degrees.... but for most of the year I seriously doubt the 50-60L you pump will change much based on a temperature.

blacknight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive
In Brunei, RON97 petrol is $0.53 brunei cents a liter. Diesel is $0.31 brunei cents, par with the singapore dollar. Is this cheap?

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
yes, that is dam cheap.....
i worked it out to be around 41c au
thats cheaper than what we pay for gas

torch

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
A foot of concrete is a pretty good insulator too :).
I still reckon there isnt much difference to temperature of the tanks on a normal day. Maybe in the middle of summer when its 30-40 degrees.... but for most of the year I seriously doubt the 50-60L you pump will change much based on a temperature.

I guessing in the space of a day not much temp diff.
How much does the average swimming pool increase in temp during the day? sure the heat capacity of water is a lot higher and there is much more water in the average pool than a service station tank, but the pool is exposed to the hot air on the top layer too.

Though how much are we talking about in the expansion of petrol, its ~1ml/L/C
So for a 70L tank and a 4C temp increase we have, 70L x 4 x 1 = 280mls, so ~35 cents. Possilby there is something to think about, but more to do with not filling the tank with 15C petrol and parking it in the sun on a stinking day!

What temp is the gallon meant to be calculated at? The Americans do it at 16C, possibly we are the same, but would we ever be getting the correct amount in this country?

Interestingly Americans saw red on the issue:Automatic Temp. Compensation, however, Canada decided to temp compensate their pumps as possibly the operators lost money due to the petrol shrinking over there!

studies in this country suggest we will never see temp compensation at our pumps:CMIS Research - Operations Research - Petrol Temperature Study