Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

To buy or not to buy??...VE SS or new model....

2ndLook

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I've had my VZ for 5 years now & i salary sacrifice through work. The next car i want to get is definately an SS or SS-V manual. I'm stuck in 2 minds though as to weather to go for a VE or hold out for the new model (be it VEII or VF)

My VZ is due to buy out or trade in at the end of November or earlier. At this point in time I'm thinking of settling on a VE mainly because there isnt really a concrete release date yet for the new model (correct me if I'm wrong) & also the prices are insane at the moment. With a fleet discount i would be paying even less. When the new model is released I'm expecting a standard SS to be back around the 50k mark.

The downside is when the new model comes out I'm worried I'm going to regret not holding out. Although my pockets will be alot heavier. The pics of what the new model is projected to look like have me wondering what is my best option. Ive always preferred the series 2 models or the VS, VX, VZ etc. At the moment though an SS on 20inch Supersports reminds me of what it feels like to be in love again!

The wife has just about had enough of me talking about it so thought i'd ask for some opinions on what you would do. Any feedback would be appreciated :beer chug:

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
when do you jump on the roundabout? when you're ready.

what I mean by this is, you can buy

1) now and save yourself some grief and start enjoying the pleasures of owning a VE today, but no VE2 (imo big woop to cosmetic changes, its still the same great car)
2) towards the end of the year and try and get a VE '2011 spec' at a good price
3) towards the end of the year and get a VE2 at a high price (good luck getting 'a deal')
3) at the start of next year where a 2010 model will be cheaper, but again wont be a 2011 build model.
4) or half way through the year and get a 2011 build year 2012 model.

my point is, it doesnt matter when you buy.
in a few months time there will be another update, another deal, another "i wish I waited" moment.

but the longer you wait, the longer you arent driving one.

my advice?
when your car is due to be updated (november you say?), update it.
the new model will be out prior to xmas, so there will be better deals to be had on the VE1's still floating about at that time.
with the money you save, you'll make your VE1 look craploads better than a stock VE2.

just suck it up and jump on the roundabout mate ;).

G8GT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VESS
when will the VEII or the VF will be released ?

gonnaenodathat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 50th anniversary Manual FG XR6T
found this pic ! ... i may hold on now and get the newer model ! well, if its same price as 2010 VE SS

holdenvfcommodoreSS.jpg

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
thats just an interpretation of what the new model could look like, its been around for like a year or more, the recent spy shots look nothing like it...

gonnaenodathat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 50th anniversary Manual FG XR6T
wife just looked at it, she prefers the current SS !

VooDooWagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE MY10 SSV Sportwagon M6
when do you jump on the roundabout? when you're ready.

what I mean by this is, you can buy

1) now and save yourself some grief and start enjoying the pleasures of owning a VE today, but no VE2 (imo big woop to cosmetic changes, its still the same great car)
2) towards the end of the year and try and get a VE '2011 spec' at a good price
3) towards the end of the year and get a VE2 at a high price (good luck getting 'a deal')
3) at the start of next year where a 2010 model will be cheaper, but again wont be a 2011 build model.
4) or half way through the year and get a 2011 build year 2012 model.

my point is, it doesnt matter when you buy.
in a few months time there will be another update, another deal, another "i wish I waited" moment.

but the longer you wait, the longer you arent driving one.

my advice?
when your car is due to be updated (november you say?), update it.
the new model will be out prior to xmas, so there will be better deals to be had on the VE1's still floating about at that time.
with the money you save, you'll make your VE1 look craploads better than a stock VE2.

just suck it up and jump on the roundabout mate ;).

What he said that is excellent advice and so true.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Don't ever out a lot of weight in the photoshopped images car magazines use to get you to buy their publication. Rarely are they even close to accurate. The VE 'predictions' looked like garbage and they were nowhere near getting the ute right and they already had half the car as a headstart! What I'm saying is nothing will be confirmed until the release date but I promise the VE update won't look like the picture above (which is good as I think it looks ordinary). So don't hold out just for cosmetic changes as the rest of the car will be identical. I agree with UFO completely in saying just update your car when it's time and enjoy the pocket full of change. Plenty of fun stuff to spend it on to juice up your car.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I'd go for the current one and save some money. DI V8 is atleast a year away so I'd consider one of them next time around.

Reaper

rydogz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
If I was you I'd take my time and hunt for the cleanest VE you can find and be fussy about options, condition, kms, colour and if you don't find one by the time the next one comes out who cares its just more options then. Take your time, I looked for my baby for months, personally I would be tending towards the VE as I am not fussed with that series sh1t. A nice car is a nice car, timeless, you'll know when you find her.

Save that extra coin for mods instead of shoulda, coulda,woulda.

Happy hunting.