Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

To buy or not to buy??...VE SS or new model....

2ndLook

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Looks like i might run out of time on the current model after all. Going to start advertising my Calais end of next week so if that sells quick i'll have to see what i can get.

I know a standard SS is going for $41,990 at the moment. The SS-V used to be around 5-6k more so not sure what they are going for now. I've found the leather to be alot easier to maintain than cloth trim when you have young kids, plus with the extra goodies i'd be one of those people willing to pay the extra for the SS-V.

When i drove past my local dealer yesterday stocks looked to have dropped on what they had a few weeks ago. The Colorado & Cruize are in places the VE used to be. Going in next week anyway to have a talk with them.

RayLamp

Gone Fishin'...
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline and LTZ RG Colorado
Another thing I might mention about the new model - with the changes they are proposing to the electronics (stereo, A/C etc), I'd be a bit cautios on getting one straight away. I fell into that trap with the VE - gawd it had many electrical issues. Based on this experience, I wouldn't trust holden until the new model has been out there for at least 6-12 months and the service techos at holden know the product. An example - I had the flat battery issue (repeatedly) in my car, and the first solution proposed by Holden was that i didnt close my bootlid properly and the interior boot light didnt turn off. well I knew I closed my bootlid properly, but what could I say? Only after 6-12 months, Holden did recognise the dramas with VE's running their batteries flat and they issued replacement BCM's, CD changer, head unit etc (yes, I got all those changed).

Holden also could be adding push button start to the higher end models. I know the current car can support it (all you have to do is turn the key to start and let go, and the car will then start itself - rather than holding the key in start until it starts...). But this is another electrical "feature" which has the chance to fail...

gonnaenodathat

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 50th anniversary Manual FG XR6T
got pissed off with caloundra city holden with the ineptness and vague costs so pulled the plug on their deal yesterday ! quoted 800 per mth and in fact turned out to be 1200 ! other issues too wiht one saying one thing and their finance guy saying another so.....where we are at is this, beechams in caboolture will supply a ssv for 47,987 otr (said 43k was totally bullshit and unacheivable ! )... or ss with fabric for 40,500 manual and 2500 for leather so still another 2k cheaper than CCH! may need to throw 5k down to lower payments to our budget (sad but true ) but hey, still in the mix for what we want..

ps, reaper, we'd be interested in where the 43k ssv was from ! the dealer up here says you are bullshitting on a global scale !:rofl2:

gonnaenodathat

Reaction score
Members Ride
demo's arent much cheaper and the wife INSISTS on leather for kids... so either way its 43k which is still 2k better than the local guys...hate to penny pinch but the 2k is better off in my pocket for other stuff !

need to sort it out soon as its doing my head in (as is she !, the wife lol )....

ps , always been a subaru guy (imported them from japan for years ) and seen a 2009 wrx locally for 36k and we both agreed, the SS had it licked ! so its just a matter of time !

Maccas90

We're only young once.
Reaction score
Members Ride
E3 Clubsport R8
I had full leather in my last ute, I think I almost prefer the cloth trim in my new one for comfort. Guess it doesn't make as much of a statement though.
Spend the money on rims and springs instead lol.

gonnaenodathat

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah i like the cloth as leather is melting hot in QLD summer and cold as hell in winter but for kids and cleanliness, leather wins hands down ! buggered either way ! wife wont have cloth !

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
yeah i like the cloth as leather is melting hot in QLD summer and cold as hell in winter but for kids and cleanliness, leather wins hands down ! buggered either way ! wife wont have cloth !

So long as your kids aren't spray painting the back seats or achieve explosive diarrhea on a road trip, the cloth trim should be fine! It's nylon based and tough as nails! A few coats of scotchguard once a year will do wonders too! I'd be more concerned with having the kids on the leather scuffing it up with their shoes, belts and schoolbags! Also, there's a lot more work involved in keeping it plush, with the right cleansers, conditioners and protectants. The cloth cleans up mint with a vacuum and the odd shampoo (highly recommend Autoglym interior shampoo for cleaning EVERYTHING inside the car except for leather or glass! It gets ANYTHING out!)

I didn't like the leather personally - just didn't give any grip in the arse department. Had it before - probably won't again. Then again - my seats will be coming out at some point and be replaced with some alcantara recaro jobbies! mmmmmmmmm

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
So long as your kids aren't spray painting the back seats or achieve explosive diarrhea on a road trip, the cloth trim should be fine! It's nylon based and tough as nails! A few coats of scotchguard once a year will do wonders too! I'd be more concerned with having the kids on the leather scuffing it up with their shoes, belts and schoolbags! Also, there's a lot more work involved in keeping it plush, with the right cleansers, conditioners and protectants. The cloth cleans up mint with a vacuum and the odd shampoo (highly recommend Autoglym interior shampoo for cleaning EVERYTHING inside the car except for leather or glass! It gets ANYTHING out!)

I didn't like the leather personally - just didn't give any grip in the arse department. Had it before - probably won't again. Then again - my seats will be coming out at some point and be replaced with some alcantara recaro jobbies! mmmmmmmmm

hahaha nice, i dont really like leather either, i plan just to get some throw over seatcovers like i got in my vs