Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tools & Tool Brands

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I don't torque wrench wheel nuts, just like the average garage doesn’t either. It's only the pedantic that do it. Sure it's a good idea but it can't be too necessary.

I noticed that Bob Jane definitely uses a torque wrench on them. I don’t think they do it strictly correctly as they rattle them on then check them with a torque wrench. I suspect they are only concerned with under-torquing rather then over-torquing, and as such are just making sure that the wheel doesn’t come off.

I recall that there were come cases of busses or trucks were a wheel has come off after being rattled on and coming loose later (due to long air hoses causing them to under-torque?). The wheel fitter was found liable and I think the industry responded by ‘checking’ the torque manually with a torque wrench after hitting them with the rattle gun.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I don't torque wrench wheel nuts, just like the average garage doesn’t either. It's only the pedantic that do it. Sure it's a good idea but it can't be too necessary.
And a pedantic may avoid a needless accident or death (or simply avoid a stresses stud and stud replacement which on some makes is a pita).

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
And a pedantic may avoid a needless accident or death (or simply avoid a stresses stud and stud replacement which on some makes is a pita).

This argument has been done to death. I've seen plenty of garages that just rattle the nuts and send you on your way. Me I rattle mine until it stops turning plus a few seconds and leave it at that.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I noticed that Bob Jane definitely uses a torque wrench on them. I don’t think they do it strictly correctly as they rattle them on then check them with a torque wrench. I suspect they are only concerned with under-torquing rather then over-torquing, and as such are just making sure that the wheel doesn’t come off.

I recall that there were come cases of busses or trucks were a wheel has come off after being rattled on and coming loose later (due to long air hoses causing them to under-torque?). The wheel fitter was found liable and I think the industry responded by ‘checking’ the torque manually with a torque wrench after hitting them with the rattle gun.

Alot of places use either a torque wrench or torque bars.....Makes the customer feel all good inside and can make sure wheel nuts aren't loose.

Yes plenty of places also rattle them up without the double check too

Truck wheels...Yes torqued up, but also the tyre either gets the words "recheck after 50 Kilometres and the date the wheel was put on" or a sticker with similar wording, even if they are torqued up with a torque wrench....

And yes, the tyre joint is responsible that a wheel on any vehicle they take put back on, is secure.....Been that way for more years than I care to remember

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
We defend your right to be wrong! :cool:
So you were there when on several occasions that I have been in peoples workshops and noticed they were just rattling and leaving it at that? I might need to go to Specsavers because I have obviously missed the part where the torque wrench came out before they lowered the car to the ground and drove it for a test drive. Even the bloke I use at home who works in a pretty big garage at Invermay just rattles and leave it at that.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
This argument has been done to death. I've seen plenty of garages that just rattle the nuts and send you on your way. Me I rattle mine until it stops turning plus a few seconds and leave it at that.
Yet your opinion would change in an instant if it was one of yours that became a statistic even though many simply dismiss such issues because they are not daily occurrences.

It takes little more time to do things correctly (or pedantically as you call it) and it also takes little time for staff to look after their tools. There really is no justification for doing anything else than the correct (or pedantic) thing but it’s quicker with a rattle gun so profit >> peoples lives.

But we know that profit >> peoples lives on a bigger scale than wheel nuts if we look at the debacle behind regulators not mandating reverse cameras more than 10 years ago simply because manufacturers wanted profits. It’s something that resulted in 100’s of children being killed in driveways over the last 10 years or so but meh… hasn’t happened to me…

Guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
We defend your right to be wrong! :cool:

Explain 2010 era Nissan Patrols...From factory, Nissan had problems where the wheel nuts came loose, so the fix and an accepted fix was to fit silver plastic pieces on each wheel nut, that had a pointer...you adjusted the pointer on each individual wheel nut, so it pointed at each other, so at a quick glance, you could see if the wheel nut started to loosen itself off.

It didn't matter if you rattled the wheel nut until you needed to be superman to loosen it to begin with, or whether you tightened it upto the specified torque of 80 FT/LB, it came loose...

These days, there are plenty of vehicles out there with yellow plastic pieces fitted to wheel nuts, with a pointer, that you have pointing to each individual wheel nuts...This is done for the very purpose of having a quick glance that the wheel nuts aren't coming loose

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yet your opinion would change in an instant if it was one of yours that became a statistic even though many simply dismiss such issues because they are not daily occurrences.

It takes little more time to do things correctly (or pedantically as you call it) and it also takes little time for staff to look after their tools that there really is no justification for doing anything else than the correct (or pedantic) thing. But it’s quicker with a rattle gun so profit >> peoples lives.

But we know that profit >> peoples lives on a bigger scale than wheel nuts if we look at the debacle behind regulators not mandating reverse cameras more than 10 years ago simply because manufacturers wanted profits. It’s something that resulted in 100’s of children being killed in driveways over the last 10 years or so but meh… hasn’t happened to me…

I would like you to read my last post and explain how our government in all states will allow these plastic devises to be used on wheel nuts on Nissans...

Unfortunately there are alot of places that don't give a rats and rattle wheel nuts up and say see you.....Three are also a lot of places that also torque them up with a wrench or torque bar, which @losh1971 was considering buying...

And if a wheel comes off, the shop is in the deep end and the person doing the job is in deeper

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

It takes little more time to do things correctly (or pedantically as you call it) and it also takes little time for staff to look after their tools. There really is no justification for doing anything else than the correct (or pedantic) thing but it’s quicker with a rattle gun so profit >> peoples lives.

Guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.
Don't get me wrong I'm saying it's not a good idea just that I have observed it plenty of times that garages who if anyone should be doing it with a TW seem to just rattle and go.