Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Toyota 86

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Gawd man, you drive a Ford and talk to me about winning?!! Your car is driving on torque at that rpm.

No we are talking about the LS engine evolution in performance terms.

I'm not getting drawn into a debate on the relative merits of valvetrain design, that's waay off topic here, suffice it to say I am still happy using pushrods because it makes a cheap V8 fit in my VE.

And it makes more torque than yours 95% of the time.

coming from owning a pretty modded ve, id say his g6et will be making heaps more torque then urs lol not to mention be 10 times quicker

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Why can't a donating member on an Australian car forum ironically named Just Commodores pass reasonable personal and technical comment on a post of an overhyped child of two reluctant Japanese parent companies?
The OP asked us where to go to get an enthusiast's forum like Just Commodores for a Toyota! Frankly now I realise the car's supporters and they are not all gay, just misinformed...
Vongy10 you just quoted the car's measly power then its weight, said with a blower is sort of ok, and asked why did I compare this car's main sporting criterion to a VE?!
Because 150 fwkw/tonne is pissweak in 2013, not enough to earn my imprimatur as a performance car, having owned several shitty underpowered 'sports' cars in my life to know better.
This Toyota / Fuji bastard looks like the typical minicar ricer IMO, and apparently fools people into the belief it is somehow more advanced and better handling and 'sporty' yet 20% underpowered compared to a STOCK Holden SS.
Shits me that Aussies on this forum put down Holdens in defence of this weak-kneed fake, classic hairdresser's vehicle.
OP, forget the bolt-on hair dryer, go the LS.

The awkward moment when someone who keep going on about how many cars they have owned and they have "been there, done that" still thinks that comparing a VE SS and 86 is a reasonable thing to do.

But I think that your 2nd last sentence says is. You have an issue that "Aussies" on this forum dare put down Holdens. Like your taking some patriotic stance defending Aussie pride being so blatantly one eyed about the fact that the 86 is actually an awesome car and a mightily Holden is average at best.

Everyone else in this thread is significantly more mature and informed than you it seems, given they are able to acknowledge the pro's and con's of cars regardless of the badge on the front. And then we have Captain Holden over here declaring how Holdens are better than everything in the world and everything else is gay. Nice.

And all this talk about the 86 being under powered, etc. Your does a 0-100kmph in around 5.5sec, the 86 does it in 7.6 with an engine 1/3 the size. You want to talk about underpowered, you may want to start looking under the bonnet of your mighty holden.

VE SS gets 270kw from the majestic 6.0L (45kw per litre) while the 86 gets 149kw from 2.0L (74.5kw per litre). Well, this is a little awkward for you? Talking about how crap and dated the tech in the 86 is yet it's able to get significantly more power per litre from their engine. This suggests, that the technology they are using is a whisker more advanced than what is under your bonnet. Hmm.

I can go on really but it's a bit like picking on the kid with the helmet. No one needs to see that.

Holdens, there are built to get around in fairly comfortably and to be big. They are a family run around or a cargo carrier with the option to have an engine under the bonnet that makes a nice sound and can be made to get up and boogy. But they are not exactly class leading on a world scale.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
coming from owning a pretty modded ve, id say his g6et will be making heaps more torque then urs lol not to mention be 10 times quicker

No it doesn't 95% of the time, unless you drive around city in the city in first like Mang Mang Mang Pop Squeal.
As I said peak torque outside normal driving range is logically not used as well or as much as solid torque idle - open loop.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
No it doesn't 95% of the time, unless you drive around city in the city in first like Mang Mang Mang Pop Squeal.
As I said peak torque outside normal driving range is logically not used as well or as much as solid torque idle - open loop.
And like I said, what difference does it matter what torque you have 100km/h is 100km/h regardless. If you are talking about cruising around the city it has no merit.

In all your infinite wisdom can you explain at cruise or at idle what difference would there be with a car with 100Nm of torque and one with 500Nm?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
The awkward moment when someone who keep going on about how many cars they have owned and they have "been there, done that" still thinks that comparing a VE SS and 86 is a reasonable thing to do.

Reasonable when debating the hype over a sports car, yes.

But I think that your 2nd last sentence says is. You have an issue that "Aussies" on this forum dare put down Holdens. Like your taking some patriotic stance defending Aussie pride being so blatantly one eyed about the fact that the 86 is actually an awesome car and a mightily Holden is average at best.

Thanks, by that logic you underline my point that the 86 is well below awesome, below the Australian average.

Everyone else in this thread is significantly more mature and informed than you it seems, given they are able to acknowledge the pro's and con's of cars regardless of the badge on the front.

So maturity is determined by the sycophants, and challenging the hype with the afore said pros and cons is invalid?! I think it's cute!!

And then we have Captain Holden over here declaring how Holdens are better than everything in the world and everything else is gay. Nice.
Not verbatim nevertheless true in this case.

And all this talk about the 86 being under powered, etc. Your does a 0-100kmph in around 5.5sec, the 86 does it in 7.6 with an engine 1/3 the size. You want to talk about underpowered, you may want to start looking under the bonnet of your mighty holden.
A 30yo TR7 or 50yo Fairlady would whop its arse FFS! Get some perspective.

VE SS gets 270kw from the majestic 6.0L (45kw per litre) while the 86 gets 149kw from 2.0L (74.5kw per litre). Well, this is a little awkward for you?
WTF? My first trail bike was an XR75 and made 125kw per litre - irrelevant.

Talking about how crap and dated the tech in the 86 is yet it's able to get significantly more power per litre from their engine. This suggests, that the technology they are using is a whisker more advanced than what is under your bonnet. Hmm.
Historically, in terms of reliability and longevity, high displacement understressed engine with a reasonable volumetric efficiency wins, sorry.

I can go on really but it's a bit like picking on the kid with the helmet. No one needs to see that.
Good analogy, love the bullying imagery from an X-Trail driver.

Holdens, there are built to get around in fairly comfortably and to be big. They are a family run around or a cargo carrier with the option to have an engine under the bonnet that makes a nice sound and can be made to get up and boogy. But they are not exactly class leading on a world scale.

Maybe not, but they will perform better for most than this latest sports offering from overseas.

Last edited:

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
PopCorn.png

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
In all your infinite wisdom can you explain at cruise or at idle what difference would there be with a car with 100Nm of torque and one with 500Nm?

Torque is the measure of the twisting force that tends to cause rotation, in this case the driving wheels with lateral momentum.
More available torque at typical driving speed/rpm equals better responsiveness to pull a given weight through a geared ratio.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Thank you for doing a google search for the dictionary definition of the word torque, I was having problems with that.
If we are talking response then we are not talking about idle though.
What difference does extra torque at idle make?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Torque is the measure of the twisting force that tends to cause rotation, in this case the driving wheels with lateral momentum.
More available torque at typical driving speed/rpm equals better responsiveness to pull a given weight through a geared ratio.

Thanks Wikipedia.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Thank you for doing a google search for the dictionary definition of the word torque, I was having problems with that.
If we are talking response then we are not talking about idle though.
What difference does extra torque at idle make?

Geez man lose the Google rhetoric please, give some credit in a civil manner. Every rpm from idle driving normally through closed loop is what I said.