Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Toyota shoots itself in the tackle

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
I reguarlly measure 245+ volt while the sun is out in pissy little towns how about all the people with solar power use it?
I'd like to see all solar the goverment is paying for put on goverment buildings where the power will be used as its made.
To my way of thinking 30 to 40 % of gridtie solar systems I see on houses are doing nothing from looking at the peoples power bills. We really need to think about where solar is installed. I know how contractors have no morals its good money for us to install we couldn't care less what it really does. Im yet to see anyone bother to fix a 10 year old solar system with a fault I've called up so called experts they come and sell the owner a new system. Here in dungersvile when the wholsale price of power gets to a certian point the APM stop there own production and sell the power.
I used to goto a site that showed the breakdown of how much power each powerstation and windturbine was generating real time does anyone know if it still exists?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
I think people might need to be a lot more involved with what the wholesale electricity price actually is. The same as people now are all over the price of fuel they will need to be all over the price of electricity.

Of course it would also mean that people don’t pay a flat rate for their electricity anymore but having proper involvement with the wholesale price and grid operation will encourage people to help balance the grid between supply and demand.

Realistically it’s probably going to be automation that accomplishes the calculation of supply and demand as most people won’t want to be directly involved. It would be relatively simple to have smart EV chargers that are linked in to the wholesale price feed and won’t charge until the wholesale price is low enough (ie: there is excess supply).

https://aemo.com.au/energy-systems/...ricity-market-nem/data-nem/data-dashboard-nem

That doesn't work because the grid will use from the EV during peak load aka high spot prices and will charge the EV when load is low aka low spot prices. The grid operator will loose money doing that.

As it is now, with my supplier, I buy power when it suits me (as long as I don't go into a negative balance), I wait till they have cheap power and buy that rather then letting the supplier just charge me their going rate for the day/week. Yes it involves a bit more of my time but it means I'm saving about NZ$380pa of the cost of their regular power price. With the smart electronic meters we have these days it's very easy to monitor power use, price at any given time if the supplier wishes to do so

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
That doesn't work because the grid will use from the EV during peak load aka high spot prices and will charge the EV when load is low aka low spot prices. The grid operator will loose money doing that.

As it is now, with my supplier, I buy power when it suits me (as long as I don't go into a negative balance), I wait till they have cheap power and buy that rather then letting the supplier just charge me their going rate for the day/week. Yes it involves a bit more of my time but it means I'm saving about NZ$380pa of the cost of their regular power price. With the smart electronic meters we have these days it's very easy to monitor power use, price at any given time if the supplier wishes to do so
We don’t really have the option here to buy power on a variable market rate at all. Only commercial/industrial customers get that option.

There are time of use tariffs for residential customers but the rates are set at fixed rates for fixed periods of time during the day/night and it’s always a con. You’ll get say a 4 cent per kWh discount during off peak but get slammed with 15 cents per kWh more during peak times.

Providing a proper incentive for people to load shift would help with grid stability immensely, at least here in Australia anyway where we are still heavily reliant on coal power plants that can’t easily ramp up and down or turn off.

You probably don’t have those kind of network problems in NZ as you’ve got a lot of hydro power which can basically be switched on and off at will.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
What if you could use the car battery as part of your home battery supply.

If you don’t use the car much or short trips, you have excess power stored, when plugged in, it can be drawn from if needed.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride

If you don’t use the car much or short trips, you have excess power stored, when plugged in, it can be drawn from if needed.
Yeah. Seems a bit of a no brainer to use the battery already in your car to power your house rather than having a seperate battery for your house. The problem comes with charging the car during the day.

Ideally you’d charge your car at work using the abundant solar power during the day and at least partially run your house off that at night. Of course this requires a quantum shift in the way things are done.

Employers would have to provide car charging capacity at work with on premises solar for most people to be able to do this. I can’t really see employers jumping at the prospect of setting that kind of thing up.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
True, I’m thinking more if you work from home or don’t travel far to get to work and have plenty left when you get home.

You can bet employers would charge us to recharge the battery at work.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
True, I’m thinking more if you work from home or don’t travel far to get to work and have plenty left when you get home.

You can bet employers would charge us to recharge the battery at work.
Unless it is a work vehicle ;)

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think you can.
Pretty sure they have had it in Europe for while. Us being behind the curve of course we’ve only just started with two way charging.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon

Absolutely and definitely worthwhile considering. Technically it is possible to do, but there is a bit of a delay with the bidirectional chargers at the moment, but they should be available soon.

The economics is good too. You could buy a ’home battery’ such as a PowerWall 2 and it’ll cost about $15,000 and store about 13.5 kWh of energy. Depending upon your energy usage, 13.5 kWh isn’t all that much energy.

Alternatively, if you have the money, you could buy something like a Model 3 for $65,000 and it’ll store about 50~60 kWh, so costs four times as much and stores four times the energy. But it also serves as a second-car and it’s running costs are practically zero. It provides a very useable sized ‘home battery’ with a car for nothing!