Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Toyota shoots itself in the tackle

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Definitely, you got it in one!

In the old days, the grid essentially had a ‘down hill’ energy flow from the generator down to the consumer. Nowadays, individual homes can be generators, and on really sunny days it’s possible that some suburban regions also become generators. It can play havoc with voltage regulation in some areas (and sometimes PV systems will disconnect due to the excessive voltage - as they are designed to do).

We are moving to a more distributed generation system/grid where we have millions of small generators instead of a few big generators. It also makes the stabilisation of the grid a more complex exercise.

The business I work with installed panels on each of our capital city sites a few years ago.

Most of them are classed as power generators due to their scale.

hademall

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CALAIS WAGON
At least with a petrol car you can always have a twenty litre container full in your garage and not have to worry whether the power is going to go off mid charging your EV.:)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
At least with a petrol car you can always have a twenty litre container full in your garage and not have to worry whether the power is going to go off mid charging your EV.:)
Also less likely to randomly ignite.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
And with solar you can have a big arse battery on your wall that the big arse sun panels charge up during the day. No need to return that sun-juice to the grid at $0.SFA/Kwhr… It’s then a perfect system for charging your own car as needed :D

Now if only you were allowed to be grid independant within city limits… last I asked, supposedly you can’t…

At $80,000 for the EV & $15,000 for good sized solar with another $15,000+ for a modest battery, along with $500/year for that mandatory grid connection, and you should be good to go…

Fook that, I’ll stick to my dino-juice driven vehicle and keep a jerry can in my garage. With a full tank & another 20 ltr in a jerry can, I’d be able to get 450km down the road in rather quick time :p

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Good point, but I don’t think that we’ll be charging all of them at the same time. A bit like our petrol stations would be overwhelmed if everyone was trying to fill up at the same time.
But what if it took 4-8hours to refill your petrol car as it does an EV on a slow charge at home? (Depending how full/empty the car is)

But on that note, home charging an EV is a slow charge which looks after the battery better in the long term.
How much power is it actually pulling? The same as leaving the tv on all night and buying a second fridge?
Yes it all adds up if every house did it, but I feel everyone is scare mongering based on Fast charge KW/H and thinking the grid needs ten bazillion watts every night to but full range back in the car, when really it's 20km of commute range and they could probably ration out car recharge days on the grid say Tuesday and Saturday are my recharge days for example.

And then, with all the working from home people: they, like us, would probably slow charge the car half the day while the wife works from home and sun is shining on our PV system,
If I go to work I will probably be in the V8 and leave her the EV, lol

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
And with solar you can have a big arse battery on your wall that the big arse sun panels charge up during the day. No need to return that sun-juice to the grid at $0.SFA/Kwhr… It’s then a perfect system for charging your own car as needed :D
What the government really need to do is provided incentive and subsidies on batteries for home owners with PV systems and have or looking to buy an EV

Therefore, store during the day, charge car at night.
And unless there is a week long storm or you have a big week of running around, your EV has zero drain on the power network.

Thank you, thank you. Someone give the government my number so they can pay me for saving them alot of money and bad publicity.
(Honestly, paying me is about the same as a good supercharger system for the v8 which is much cheaper than there alternatives)

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Good point, but I don’t think that we’ll be charging all of them at the same time. A bit like our petrol stations would be overwhelmed if everyone was trying to fill up at the same time.

I suspect that market incentives will kick in to encourage recharging when energy is more available, a bit like the oLe ‘off peak’ tariffs of the days gone by.
Except that with incentives everyone will want to charge during those times and cause grid issues

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VT s2 Exec, VX Calais II L67
I would imagine that when you are using an EV battery to help supplement the grid it would be at a net zero rate, if it was at a loss no one would do it, I too would give them the middle finger.

I'm sure right now the grid operator doesn't take into consideration home solar installs but as they become more numerous they will just need to adjust how they manage the grid, more sun (which we can all see) is a clear indicator that you can reduce base load from other suppliers.

Of course non of this will happen if it is left to a competitive, privately run, for profit industry.

Here in NZ, hydro provides a good majority of the base load, in the summer when there is less water in storage lakes (but lots of sun) having solar to help supplement hydro works great.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Except that with incentives everyone will want to charge during those times and cause grid issues
I think people might need to be a lot more involved with what the wholesale electricity price actually is. The same as people now are all over the price of fuel they will need to be all over the price of electricity.

Of course it would also mean that people don’t pay a flat rate for their electricity anymore but having proper involvement with the wholesale price and grid operation will encourage people to help balance the grid between supply and demand.

Realistically it’s probably going to be automation that accomplishes the calculation of supply and demand as most people won’t want to be directly involved. It would be relatively simple to have smart EV chargers that are linked in to the wholesale price feed and won’t charge until the wholesale price is low enough (ie: there is excess supply).

https://aemo.com.au/energy-systems/...ricity-market-nem/data-nem/data-dashboard-nem