Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Trade Award Wages

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
You had a whinge about your wages and then arced up when I offered my opinion.

It happens in all occupations - 10 years ago I remember doing the same mine ventilation **** for $50k a year, that the dude next to me was having a ball in drill and blast for $90k a year. He was doing a less strenuous job, but the difference was he had another 3-4 years experience on me, and we both did a mining engineering degree for 4 years.

Gotta start somewhere and work your way up (but obviously not in the government style of 1 pay increase per year, where the longest serving are the highest paid regardless of ability).

when did i arc up..

i understand that... but once again stated in the first post 'im just venting'.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
a few things...

ask the boss why your being paid so low. and if says "your fired" its unfair dismissal.
dont leave the current work until you have a new job.
see what the average pay is in that trade, as some are better pay then others (licenced trades seem to appear higher)

as for apprenticeship pay you can get great money with the right company.
i know as an apprentice (1st yr) im earning bloody good, just coz they are a good company to be with
as for looking at the end result. i know i am. get a few extra licences (boom lifts etc) and otherl icences relating to the sparky trade.
then i know im gonna be set up for life =P

so overall research the industry and make sure your boss isnt underpaying you. otherwise they could be up that creek no paddle

marcus1

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve
seriously if you want to earn good money dont do a trade and work for someone you need to work for yourself! all blue collar earn less than white collar fact! people say go to the mines lolyou can earn more driving a truck than you can as a 1st class boiler maker???? you can earn more behind the desk than out in the hole!!! you get paid more to sit on ya but then be on the tools. and yes tafe teachers are told to tell students that they can earn big bucks if they finish their apprenticeship which if they own a bussiness yes but as a job working for someone else slogging ya guts out breaking your back you will earn a poor mans wage you can earn more sitting behind a desk in aircon. trade pay is well under what it should be tradies build houses and cant afford to buy a shack let alon a house. and the work conditions are very bad and basically considered as modern day slaves! i was apprentice of the year in my trade stuck with it 11 years made #### around the gold coast brissy area. now i teach the trade work less hours and earn double they pay . teachers get paid well for #### all work being in the trade was alot more demanding physically and metally im glad i landed a teaching role !

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
a few things...

see what the average pay is in that trade, as some are better pay then others (licenced trades seem to appear higher)

as for apprenticeship pay you can get great money with the right company.
i know as an apprentice (1st yr) im earning bloody good, just coz they are a good company to be with
as for looking at the end result. i know i am. get a few extra licences (boom lifts etc) and otherl icences relating to the sparky trade.
then i know im gonna be set up for life =P

so overall research the industry and make sure your boss isnt underpaying you. otherwise they could be up that creek no paddle

My son started his apprenticeship this year at the age of 22 as a sparky . He is on $22 an hour , all his schooling is paid for and he was issued with a tool box with over $1500 worth of tools plus all his saftey gear . He knocked back a few jobs because they weren't doing the type of work that he was intrested in .

cracker

Reaction score
My son started his apprenticeship this year at the age of 22 as a sparky . He is on $22 an hour , all his schooling is paid for and he was issued with a tool box with over $1500 worth of tools plus all his saftey gear . He knocked back a few jobs because they weren't doing the type of work that he was intrested in .

thats ####ed.

im finishing my apprenticeship this year in the same field and am 22, im on $15 work in terrible conditions and hours.
but its still a job !

i paid for my schooling... really depends who your boss is must be in a large company and union

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
urgg, yes it does go up with age when you under age. But if you're fully qualified you should be paid the same amount of money as the next TQ'd tradie. Provided skills are on the same level.

If you have a 22yr old trades man at X skill level and a 42yr old at the same level. Then I see no reason why the older worker deserves more money.

Yeah but see if ur 21-22 means uve only worked in that position 4 only 4 years where as the guy whos 42 as u say, would have no doubt seen alot more and experinced hell of alot more so no way in hell u should b payed the same until u (or him) has been proven by working with the same employer 4 a period of time.

Yes it bites ass earning bugger all at a young age but if uve researched a job/carreer that ur after aswell as the work place wen u go 4 an interveiw u should get some idea of wat ur gonna get and wen.

2 the OP i dont know much about ur job and wats involved mayb theres a reason that job doesnt pay as much? otherwise as uve already reaserched ur better off with another employer if ur not happy with ur current 1 or start puttin ur foot down dont b scared 2 ud b supprised most boss's dont mind that.

thats ####ed.

im finishing my apprenticeship this year in the same field and am 22, im on $15 work in terrible conditions and hours.
but its still a job !

i paid for my schooling... really depends who your boss is must be in a large company and union

Y is it ####ed?? he would more then likly b gettin paid under a different ruling as a 22 year old should have his head screwed on and b alot more cluey then a 16 year old would b, not saying a 16 year old isnt capable but i think the odds stack in the more experienced favour.

i went though **** pay but as others keep saying it depends on wat ur trade is and who u work 4. it does pay off dont think its a waste.

cracker

Reaction score
the apprentice under me ( i have 3months left) is 32 and his useless and has no motivation to learn or do as his told

i would much rather someone younger or my age who actually cares and wants too prove him self

been through the **** pay cant wait untill im done so i can do something else

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
teachers get paid well for #### all work being in the trade was alot more demanding physically and metally im glad i landed a teaching role !

Funny how every person I hear say this has the same teaching methods. Interesting how my wife who is a teacher also draws the same conclusion. Hardly a conincidence is my guess.