Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tripin'...

Tweetbix

Reaction score
Members Ride
Evo VI
I didn't end up putting in the loom or a lvl 3 cluster into my car, sold the loom onto someone who already had a cluster and wanted to put it in.
Anyway, on the ProUtes forum there is a guy that has just put a Lvl 3 dash loom (non patch loom) into his VR ute. He says everything works except for the Fuel Used per 100kms and the Projected Fuel Use per 100kms.
What does he require to get these modes working? I take it it has something to do with the extra wire that goes straight to the PCM plug?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I didn't end up putting in the loom or a lvl 3 cluster into my car, sold the loom onto someone who already had a cluster and wanted to put it in.
Anyway, on the ProUtes forum there is a guy that has just put a Lvl 3 dash loom (non patch loom) into his VR ute. He says everything works except for the Fuel Used per 100kms and the Projected Fuel Use per 100kms.
What does he require to get these modes working? I take it it has something to do with the extra wire that goes straight to the PCM plug?

connect the yellow black wire to the engine loom plug. His headlights may not work properly or the A/C.

Tweetbix

Reaction score
Members Ride
Evo VI
Apparently he says everything works fine. Also is there a yellow black wire on the lvl 3 dash loom? (non patch loom)

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Apparently he says everything works fine. Also is there a yellow black wire on the lvl 3 dash loom? (non patch loom)

Yes the yellow black wire is in the 4th plug. But it will need to be plugged into the A2 slot in the engine loom plug under the glove box. He must have fitted climate control or modded the wires to get the A/C working. It's not a plug n play type upgrade to use the L3 dash loom.

The L3 loom uses the BCM to dim the dash lights and the L2 loom uses a resistance wire.

AlexVSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Holden VS Commodore S, 3.8 n/a
I've briefly read over this thread, but I'm still not 100% confident on what I need to have done to install a L3 cluster. I probably need the "Beginners version Level 3 clusters for dummies" as auto electrical is not my strong point-it's somewhat voodoo to me in fact

Basically I have a L3 cluster and the switch thingy that goes where the speed alert thing is right now. How much more do I need to have? I read on the first few pages of this thread I need a wiring loom, what does this do and what does not having it mean? Also if I just plug the cluster in today to the plugs that are already there, will it give me my speedo, tacho, fuel and temperature readings plus odometer or does it all need to be wired up properly to work?

Anybody who can help me with this would be much appreciated.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
I've briefly read over this thread, but I'm still not 100% confident on what I need to have done to install a L3 cluster. I probably need the "Beginners version Level 3 clusters for dummies" as auto electrical is not my strong point-it's somewhat voodoo to me in fact

Basically I have a L3 cluster and the switch thingy that goes where the speed alert thing is right now. How much more do I need to have? I read on the first few pages of this thread I need a wiring loom, what does this do and what does not having it mean? Also if I just plug the cluster in today to the plugs that are already there, will it give me my speedo, tacho, fuel and temperature readings plus odometer or does it all need to be wired up properly to work?

Anybody who can help me with this would be much appreciated.

Do you have the 4th plug that goes into the bottom of the L3 cluster? This is what displays the ODO reading in the 3 windows of the trip computer.

Basicly you will need to graft in the 4th plug and trip control plug to get the full functions of the trip computer working. If you just put a L3 dash loom in the A/C plug is missing and the rear dimister wont work. Also the headlights has the BCM control the dimming - the Exec loom has an extra sheilded wire for this function.

AlexVSII

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 Holden VS Commodore S, 3.8 n/a
I have the switches that replaces the the speed alert module and the new level 3 cluster itself. Nothing more unless it's already in the car itself, I haven't taken the cluster already in the car out and checked it to see what I have. Sorry I'm not being too helpful, but auto electrical isn't my strong point.

I'm going to assume I should have some of the looms from the parts car I got all this stuff from? Unfortunately the opportunity for me to take bits off the car I was cannibalising for parts is gone so unless I can make it work with what I have I may be looking to offload the cluster. If there's someone in Sydney who is clued up with this sort of stuff and would be willing to give me a hand figuring things out I'd be appreciative.

Last edited:

Polky304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute 5L 5spd
G'day lads,

Sorry to dig up old threads but i still have a few questions regarding the level 3 conversion for my VS ute. i have the cluster, trip computer and i got a level 3 loom off of ebay with the 4th connector (i cant remember what it came out of, i bought it a while back but the part no is GM92053). Why cant the level 3 loom just plug and play? it seems the only thing not working at the moment is the instantaneous fuel and average fuel which is because my ute doesnt have the black and yellow wire from the ECU connector under the glove box, does this sound about right?? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Level 3 Dash Loom.jpg
    Level 3 Dash Loom.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 255

Tweetbix

Reaction score
Members Ride
Evo VI
Did you get a lvl 3 loom or a patch loom? 88greenvn does a patch loom that includes the black and yellow ready to insert into the connector for those 2 readings.
If you have a lvl 3 loom, that's does not have said wire, 88greenvn is the best person to talk to regarding this.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
G'day lads,

Sorry to dig up old threads but i still have a few questions regarding the level 3 conversion for my VS ute. i have the cluster, trip computer and i got a level 3 loom off of ebay with the 4th connector (i cant remember what it came out of, i bought it a while back but the part no is GM92053). Why cant the level 3 loom just plug and play? it seems the only thing not working at the moment is the instantaneous fuel and average fuel which is because my ute doesnt have the black and yellow wire from the ECU connector under the glove box, does this sound about right?? Thanks in advance!
Its because all the cars holden made of that era with a level 3 dash had climate control as well and a high level bcm....and the car you are putting into is a lower level bcm, has normal air con ....so the air con button isnt in the same location between the two different cars and also the dash light dimmer circiut is different as well as the wiring for the heated rear window.
What you normally do to get this all to work is strip back and take all the extra plugs/ wires out of the level 3 loom and using you old loom tee off wires on it to get it to work.
You will have to untape both looms of course to get access to the wiring and solder and retape. and run the extra yellow /black wire from conn 4 along the loom past the glove box light to the plug near the ecm.