Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tune - 5L

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VP Commodore Executive V8 A4
G'day Gents,

I've thrown $2500 into my money-pit, fixing up the bearings, CV joints, and replacing the A/C compressor, and now I'd love to part with some more money and get her a tune.

Since I've replaced the A/C, I've noticed that she doesn't like idling with the A/C on in hot & humid conditions. She'll stall every now and then.

Would this be fixed with a tune? And if so, just a simple plug-in tune, or does she need to go up on a dyno (and $1000 thrown at her)?

vn ecotec

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 vn executive 3.8ltr v6
Try taking Ur thermostat out or looking if Ur radiator fans run with air-conditioning on if Ur fans don't run with ac on it might not be cooling the engine causing temps to sit higher levels

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
Try taking Ur thermostat out or looking if Ur radiator fans run with air-conditioning on if Ur fans don't run with ac on it might not be cooling the engine causing temps to sit higher levels

My radiator fan is rigged to run whenever the motor's running. Not sure how that works, previous owner and all.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Tuning to fix problems doesn't really fix the problem. Tuning for an issue treats the symptoms and not the cause of the problem if that makes sense, it just masks the problem really. Aircon isn't really that serious, but ideally if it's an engine problem the car should ideally be 100% beforehand. Apart from that, the only way a tune could fix it would be to raise the idle speed so you could ask for that.

If it's just a stocker The1 or Delcowizzid should be able to do you something good via mail.

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
Tuning to fix problems doesn't really fix the problem. Tuning for an issue treats the symptoms and not the cause of the problem if that makes sense, it just masks the problem really. Aircon isn't really that serious, but ideally if it's an engine problem the car should ideally be 100% beforehand. Apart from that, the only way a tune could fix it would be to raise the idle speed so you could ask for that.

If it's just a stocker The1 or Delcowizzid should be able to do you something good via mail.

It makes sense. I'm not sure if she's stock or not. She does have a full exhaust, but have no idea what's in the motor. She normally idles at ~800rpm in Drive (auto), and ~600rpm with the A/C. I may have to go down that path. It should be noted that she doesn't have the idle issues without the A/C, and the stalls occur only in hot & humid conditions.

Thanks for your help mate.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
They can tune for most basic mods and some cams. How much of the A/C did you replace? Your A/C clutch bearings might be a bit worn.

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
They can tune for most basic mods and some cams. How much of the A/C did you replace? Your A/C clutch bearings might be a bit worn.

I had the A/C compressor replaced, and a few seals/gaskets.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If the fans are on the whole time the engine's running, I'd definitely try and figure out whats going on there. Sounds a bit strange, the coolant temperature sensor (not sender) may have failed - fan always on is one of the symptoms. As for the stalling, I'd be looking at either the ignition module or the hall effect sensor inside the dizzy.

Have you checked for error codes? They're pretty simple engines luckily so it's usually easy to figure out what's wrong. Have you checked that the timing is set to 10 degrees in diagnostic mode?

VSCristian

Reaction score
Members Ride
If the fans are on the whole time the engine's running, I'd definitely try and figure out whats going on there. Sounds a bit strange, the coolant temperature sensor (not sender) may have failed - fan always on is one of the symptoms. As for the stalling, I'd be looking at either the ignition module or the hall effect sensor inside the dizzy.

Have you checked for error codes? They're pretty simple engines luckily so it's usually easy to figure out what's wrong. Have you checked that the timing is set to 10 degrees in diagnostic mode?

I haven't checked the codes for a while no. I did last time she had a major service, and nothing came up. I haven't had the engine light come on though. I guess that's the first stop. I thought that the fan was purposely rigged to be running full time. I haven't modified her at all, only maintenance. I bought her in her current condition, and know sweet bugger all about her previous history. The dealer claimed that the engine was rebuilt at some stage (which I took with a bucket of salt, or rather a 44 gallon drum) but she hasn't got any paperwork. My mechanic is of the opinion that the motor has been rebuilt at some stage too. I put her up on a dyno, and she pulled 125rwkw on a hot day, after sitting in traffic for an hour. She's on 330,163kms. 125rwkw is pretty much factory power for an auto methinks.

I guess vehicles of this age are mysteries and full of surprises. As for checking the timing, that's a bit beyond my know how, but will ask for that next time she goes into the shop.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
The ECU should increase the idle when the ac is turned on, so an aftermarket tune is not going to fix an existing problem.

V8 5.0L would have been a clutch fan originally wouldn't it?
If someone installed an aftermarket electric fan then it should have a stand alone thermostat unless it's just been wired to run with ignition on.