Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Turbo Buick vs 5L

mrspanakopita

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Calais
Restoring a 92' VP and trying to decide if I should spend the money on a Turbo set up for the Buick or if I should go with the 5L converstion. From what I can gather either way will cost me about the same done properly but was just wondering if having a 5L (other than the "wow its a V8" and any other bro talk) would have any serious advantages/disadvantages to the Buick or 5L down the line? Car is being built as a weekend cruiser, I do want power but its more about longevity rather than chasing the absolute highest figures

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
If you want longevity then an NA V8 is going to be more reliable (and easier/cheaper to maintain) than a turbo V6. Also if it’s a weekend cruiser the V8 rumble beats the turbo tututu IMO.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Turbo Buick will be quicker down the 1/4 than a 304.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
But I'll counter that and say the Buick V6 is built for boost and will happily take 15psi all day long as long as the tune is good and the fuel system can keep up.

If sound is your preference take the V8. Power wise, it's a toss up.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
But I'll counter that and say the Buick V6 is built for boost and will happily take 15psi all day long as long as the tune is good and the fuel system can keep up.
Exactly.

mrspanakopita

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Calais
If you want longevity then an NA V8 is going to be more reliable (and easier/cheaper to maintain) than a turbo V6. Also if it’s a weekend cruiser the V8 rumble beats the turbo tututu IMO.
I'll do an avg of 5000kms a year, people have saif that the reliability is negligable at that level. Would you agree or still vote for the 5L ?

mrspanakopita

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Calais

If sound is your preference take the V8. Power wise, it's a toss up.

If I understand your view correctly the V8 if what I want is the noise but for the rest we're kind of splitting hairs ?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Stock 304 is about 140kw

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Easy upgrade is always the V8....If you want to be different, go the turbo V6....

Lets face it, everyone wants a V8....Everyone votes for a V8 when the word "power" crops up....Those that dare to be different go the V6 and I for one prefer to be that different person where I'd spend my coin on a turbo V6....

You can also add in the "sleeper" factor running the turbo V6..

My thoughts on it

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If I understand your view correctly the V8 if what I want is the noise but for the rest we're kind of splitting hairs ?

Depending on how much you want to spend the turbo V6 might actually make more power for buck spent. Depending on how much power you make expect to have to do some transmission upgrades. Diff should be OK but you would want a better diff center but that would apply to either options really.