Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Turbo Buick vs 5L

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
For the same amount of coin & car already a v6 model... turbo buick will be quicker.

Downside of it all majority of people won't pay it any attention to your v6 if nice sounding v8 is nearby nor will they care if v8 is slower as long as it sounds cool as fark.

Was tempted to do something with vp v6 ute BUT knew no matter how much spent or how fast will still want nice v8 like all my other cars,,,,,'cos I'm bogan at heart haha

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I'll do an avg of 5000kms a year, people have saif that the reliability is negligable at that level. Would you agree or still vote for the 5L ?
Reliability probably wouldn’t be an issue with that many kms. I‘d still vote for the V8 though because of the sound!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
V8 will have different cool factor but trying to find one and all the gear needed to do the transplant will be hard. Never see them anymore on FB Tas, whereas a five years ago could buy complete VR V8 ute in average condition for under $3k. VP was kinda the ugly duckling but try and find one now, even V6 and you'll struggle.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I had plans to Raptor my old Buick, was getting closer too, engine was ready, just needed to replace the brand new lifters that I got screwed on. Trans was going to need an overhaul, stock auto is not strong enough to be reliable with boost. They say shift kit is enough but it's not the internals need beefing up too.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
V8 will have different cool factor but trying to find one and all the gear needed to do the transplant will be hard. Never see them anymore on FB Tas, whereas a five years ago could buy complete VR V8 ute in average condition for under $3k. VP was kinda the ugly duckling but try and find one now, even V6 and you'll struggle.
Still spewing that I sold my Iron Lion out of my VS Statesman that I rebuilt for a few hundred bucks. Would have been worth heaps more now.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You will need furnace brazed TC too if the plan is to run stock auto.

mrspanakopita

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Calais
For the same amount of coin & car already a v6 model... turbo buick will be quicker.

Downside of it all majority of people won't pay it any attention to your v6 if nice sounding v8 is nearby nor will they care if v8 is slower as long as it sounds cool as fark.

Was tempted to do something with vp v6 ute BUT knew no matter how much spent or how fast will still want nice v8 like all my other cars,,,,,'cos I'm bogan at heart haha
Yeah fair, idc what other people think its just for me haha

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Please do a build thread with whatever way you go. There are a few of us on here who like the older builds.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
If Tonyz Garage is still pumping out Buick turbo kits that's the route I'd go. On a good tune easily as reliable as the 5L and makes plenty more power. DIY last time I checked you'd be up and running for a smidge under $5k