Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Turbo without BOV & running low psi

nasty1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2 clubsport
Well, i only want to run low psi, probably 6-8 and defeinitely no more than 10. Will i need a front mount? And will i need to upgrade my exhaust from 2.5 inch to 3 ? Also, how do you hide a front mount? lol

6-8 psi on an n/a convert is like running 12 psi on turbo motor or about that.

im running 12 psi on my n/a convert but i was using a 1.6mm copper head gasket.at the moment the head gasket is giving me dramas as my block isnt oringd and it wants to seep water so im going for 2 genuine nissan head gaskets witch i just completed today so ill see how i go with that

VL_5SPEED

Reaction score
Members Ride
1986 Holden VL calais project
Yes you need an intercooler for a high comp setup. You can run just as much boost as a lower comp as long as you have good fuel set up and a good tune. All new turbo cars are high comp.

2.5" exhaust will work fine

a hidden cooler is just a normal front mound intercooler what doesnt hang below the front bar. See vl berlina 5spds vl for example. Its a gk tech intercooler.

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
goodluck bruz with that bow.....hmmmm drunk i am...all will work out

Snowy your not a noob its all about learning bloke... its all good as long as u r a car enthusiast wanting 2 learn.
man im installing a turbo in a few days. just installed cooler(c Pics in channel) so stick with it and we will help you through.. call out to Vl 5 speed, Nackerz, Bax, Goon, Bow Down. if i missed any u know who u r all wanting to help the Vl commo cult live :p

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
Yes you need an intercooler for a high comp setup. You can run just as much boost as a lower comp as long as you have good fuel set up and a good tune. All new turbo cars are high comp.

2.5" exhaust will work fine

a hidden cooler is just a normal front mound intercooler what doesnt hang below the front bar. See vl berlina 5spds vl for example. Its a gk tech intercooler.

exactly, VNLUKE was playing around with this and squeezed something like 30psi into a hi comp before the gasket shot out

hidden cooler, ould paint it black though to hide better
1001473sss.jpg

After driving around on low boost, you will want to increase it.
this man speaks the truth!!!!! :smoking:

You don't NEED any intercooler, that said they are definately worth having. Whether you front mount one or run a water-air setup is entirely up to you. My preference is water-air simply because in my opinion they provide more consistent intake temps and generally require less air volume than a front mounted setup, thus giving less turbo lag.

yes you dont need a intercooler at stock boost levels but anything from 10 or so on is advised

Lazza78

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HBD LS1, VL calais project
vl berlina 5speed ur vl is fkn hot mate, watched ur build up over at CT...

all the talk about 3in exhausts, if ur running the stock cast dump its really pointless fittin a 3inch, inside the factory cast dump its lucky to be 2-1/2in so really ur best off running a 2-1/2 system unless u get a custom dump fabricated... when i had my vlct i fitted a 3in dump after already having a 3in system on the car and noticed a difference, specially how quick it spoolled up.. felt better right thru the rev range...

my new vlc i just got will be gettin the same treatment as my old car, but in this case, do it right first, saves doin it twice lol

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
think, the blade spins at over 30000 rpm, you reallly think that it turning the other way momentarily is going to affect it?

ok lets think then. lets take a wheel spinning very fast, then in less than a second, force it to spin the opposite way, and you dont think thats going to cause any damage at all? if you were to do with any other part of the car, say throwing it into reverse at 100km/h, you would do damage

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
if you were to do with any other part of the car, say throwing it into reverse at 100km/h, you would do damage
Pretty poor example there. because the car travelling at 100k has much greater inertia than if it were just the wheel travelling at 100. A better example would be to put the car on jackstands, spin the rear wheels up to 100k and then put it in neutral and use some huge unstoppable force reverse its direction. Of course that is a poor example also, but you cant compare a 1400kg car travelling at 100k to a 85gram impeller rotating at 10,000rpm.