Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Twin Turbo VS Ecotec Build **engine build in progress page 16**

MACE

Reaction score
bigge pickup also allows for easier ingestion of air round corners and under heavy braking and acceleration the pickup was made smaller to stop this from happening its not got that small bulb pickup for no reason its so it dont suck air.ecotec has no problems pumping 100psi cold oil pressure at idle and over 50 hot idle its plenty enough

I understand exactly what your saying, however I was complementing about the complete ASR package from that link I posted up earlier. It does have a larger pickup which would definitely be a problem if that was only used, however the sump is also modified from that link as well to shroud the pick up above it.

When you say the pump can pump 100psi on idle what was the oil viscosity and what bearing clearances were used? Was the pump standard? The complete oiling systems in these engines definitely have room for improvement IMHO such that these engines are reliable enough to take many many years of abuse.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
totally stock 200000km+ engine with 20w50 will cold idle at startup at 100psi even a 300000km buick with ecotec oil pressure spring will do the same its how the v6 is.does the sump need baffling nope not at all we just ran 12 drag runs with no rear main seal rope in the engine after it desintegrated before we even got to the drags so the rear of the sump was open to all under the car we didnt loose any oil out the back of the sump untill around 250-300m down the track when the oil from above and out the mains had filled the high rear section of the sump and started to wisp out onto the crossover.seems the sump design is pretty spot on even when doing 1.7 60 foot launches with a gear change before the 60 foot mark

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
All it does is vent oil vapour into the plenum.
Oil + Petrol + Boost + RPM = Detonation.

Arr fark righto i might need to do the same to mine then

Made an aluminium plug to block off the PCV port only because Delcowizzid made me

you wanna make me one???? Im happy to pay for it :D

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
All it does is vent oil vapour into the plenum.
Oil + Petrol + Boost + RPM = Detonation.

when the engine is under boost the PVC valve can leak boost pressure into the crank case, so no detonation, just lost boost pressure :)

on a naturally aspirated motor the PVC valve allows crank case gases to be circulated back into the intake so they are burnt through the combustion process and there for reduce pollution. the crank case is also ventilated with fresh air through a hose connected to the bottom of the throttle body. although this system does as it is designed to do (reduce pollution) the down side is that by the time the engine has 100,000+km's on the clock you tend to get oil build-up in the intake manifold and the throttle body. this is the reason most tend to add a catch can to the engine. it removes the cause of the oil build up, as soop already mentioned, having oil in the combustion chamber is a bad thing and can lead to detonation

Claudy

French Com
Reaction score
Members Ride
Manual Gen3 VT SS + V6 VT manual turbo
U guys gonna laugh but I got told to block off PCV with two 10cent pieces then put spring back over the top, works a treat and only cost 10cents hehe