Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyre size for 18" rims?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Hey guys, wondering what tyre size I should get for a VS going from stock 15" to the VE SSV 18" rims. Heard it can rub against the bumpers.

Cheers,
Frogsta

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
I have 235/40R18 Tyres on my VS, no problems at all and speedo is still the same as when I had the stock 15's.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Cheers guys, yeah was loooking for the size which wouldn't stuff my speedo. Now to purchase the rims and new tyres :D

Edit; I may be getting Super Lows later on, what exactly is an adjustable pan hard rod?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Cheers guys, yeah was loooking for the size which wouldn't stuff my speedo. Now to purchase the rims and new tyres :D

Edit; I may be getting Super Lows later on, what exactly is an adjustable pan hard rod?

its for live axle cars, which use a panhard bar to keep the ass end centered. when you lower the car, the bar kicks the whole axle off to one side, so an adjustable bar brings it back into place.

your car is probably IRS, which doesnt need one

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8

If you are getting genuine Holden or HSV wheels then you may not need to worry about an adjustable pan hard rod, I didn't have one for years, but then one day I decided to get one.

When you lower a Commodore for instance the panhard rod pushes the diff out sideways, so an adjustable panhard rod is required.

IMG_0332-1.jpg

This is a picture of the adjustable panhard rod (red), that I fitted to my VS.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
Oh okay, mine's an Acclaim, IRS/ABS so I assume I can fit the rims and tyres, and lower it and no problems?

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Oh okay, mine's an Acclaim, IRS/ABS so I assume I can fit the rims and tyres, and lower it and no problems?

If yours has IRS then no, you don't have a panhard rod.

As for a camber kit, fit the new wheels and tyres and see how they wear out. If they wear out on the inner edge of the tyre, then you should think about a camber kit. But I have a WH Statesman with all the adjustments in the world in the rear and because it is lowered, the tyres just keep wearing out on the inner edge. I just rotate and balance the wheels every service so that they wear more evenly.

Status
Not open for further replies.