Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tyres wearing out on the inner side

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
I've got a lowered VY without a camber kit and my tyre wear is fine. If you're going through tyres that fast, I don't think your issue will be rectified by simply fitting a camber kit.

Yeah im just a bit skeptical. Sure the irs causes some uneven wear but to say yours is excessive would be a massive understatement. I think you have a more serious issue. I've done 30,000 on my current tyres (Bridgestone Potenza GIII) and they're wearing quite even with about 50% tread left.

I'm in the exact same boat and agree 100%. My VY is lowered (Pedders) with no camber kit and it wears pretty evenly. There's slight extra wear on the insides, but I'll still get over 20,000km out of a pair of tyres.

I think there's something else going on with your car to make it that bad. Take it to someone else - they should be able to use the factory adjustments to eliminate your problem. :thumbsup:

Taddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
Yeah thanks for that.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
yeh, mine wore out my inner left rear tyre quick after having an allignment done not long b4 i found out the fronts had only been done, not the rears as well and my left rear alignment was out by a bit, had it done properly while i watched and has been good since, mined you mine only has factory fe2 at the moment, but have been told the vy's are ok they have the correct adjustments at the rear, sounds like they ****ed up the allignment, or you have cleaned up a gutter with the rear, but doubt it would be that or if your car is sitting on ssl springs, but id say they messed up your alignment, also had that on my 4wd chewed out the inners of both front tyres after i put a lift kit in and the tyre joint stuffed it up (unfortunatly its the tyre joint my current work just shifted to) only reason a car will wear them that quick, especially if they were even wear before hand. good luck with it.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Get it put up on a hoist and get a mechanic to have a look at where the diff is bolted to the rear frame . Sometimes these crack and under exceleration the crack opens up causing excesive camber and the tyres to wear. Also get the readout when you get an alignment to see if it is within spec.

Taddy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive S2
Thanks for all the info guys. I have my car booked in on Thursday for 2 new tyres but hes going to have a look at it and tell me what I will need to do.

VTCommoDude

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT COMMODORE
A camber kit is the only thing that will help. If your tyres are wearing out that fast, you probably have it lowered big time. You can buy a camber kit on Ebay and just have it installed. Those mechanics charge an absolute fortune for camber kits.

abbott

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Series 2 Acclaim
Sorry to interrupt folks, but I'm new and can't find a link to start a thread. Can anyone direct me? Thanks

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Sorry to interrupt folks, but I'm new and can't find a link to start a thread. Can anyone direct me? Thanks

Just click the
newthread.gif
button, it's a the top and bottom of each index page.

foo27

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss series1
you have said the tyres that were on the rear had come from the front, this would already have put a certain wear pattern into the tread. The first thing i would suggest is getting the person doing your wheel alignment to put in at LEAST 2mm of positive toe. The most common cause of tyre wear is toe, if it wearing out the inside you need more postive toe, the outside you need to reduce the positive toe. On the rear you need to have about 1mm of positive toe. These toe figures are total toe readings so the y need to equal on both sides. I use these figures as a baseline setup when doing alignments and I have been getting a very good response and return of customers.If your tyre shop wont treat your car as though its theirs take it elsewhere. Ihope you have had some luck with this. bye the way I recently installed a two point camber kit into a vt with the kit fitting and alignment for $350.:yeah:

richierich

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY11SS
A camber kit is the only thing that will help. If your tyres are wearing out that fast, you probably have it lowered big time. You can buy a camber kit on Ebay and just have it installed. Those mechanics charge an absolute fortune for camber kits.

My ex VY was super super low, 18s with no camber kit and got 40k out of them with some hard driving:dance:

Attachments

• car.JPG
    car.JPG
    57.9 KB · Views: 120
Last edited: