Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Sportswagon chopping out rear tyres

ruxall

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2011 Calais wagon
I think the tyres I fitted to my wagon were a reasonably good choice, and they never lasted on the back. They wore badly on the inside. Apparently this is an inherent problem with the design of this rear suspension. I did do an alignment immediately after fitting the new tyres. Maybe if you are hard on cornering, which I am, or was inclined to be, that ruined the tyres. I was wondering whether a heavier duty sway bar at the rear would make any improvement?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Assuming it is a VE, no it's not an inherent problem to scrub the edges.....Unlike the previous models, they have camber adjustment as well as toe...

Sounds like people don't align the rear end properly and no sway bar can correct that

Have you got a copy of the alignment report you can post up?

Last edited:

ruxall

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2011 Calais wagon
Assuming it is a VE, no it's not an inherent problem to scrub the edges.....Unlike the previous models, they have camber adjustment as well as toe...

Sounds like people don't align the rear end properly and no sway bar can correct that
Pedders Suspension in Hobart did the first, previous to the wear, and the last one was done by a professional tyre joint, and he said there was only limited adjustment on the rear and that it was a problem, but obviously as most of the travelling I do is on a bendy highway, that may exacerbate the wear possibility, as driving on straight highways may be fine.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Pedders Suspension in Hobart did the first, previous to the wear, and the last one was done by a professional tyre joint, and he said there was only limited adjustment on the rear and that it was a problem, but obviously as most of the travelling I do is on a bendy highway, that may exacerbate the wear possibility, as driving on straight highways may be fine.

Sounds like the professional joint adjusted the wrong direction if it didn't wear prior to them doing it...

ruxall

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2011 Calais wagon
Sounds like the professional joint adjusted the wrong direction if it didn't wear prior to them doing it...
When I became familiar with the handling I drove it much harder into corners, The thing is with the alignment that if it was adjusted wrongly the second alignment bloke would have picked that up and it was out, but only very minor. I'm convinced that body sway changes the camber, and if you disagree prove me wrong.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is this car lowered? As VC said I don't recall people having issues with VEs scrubbing tyres unless they are really low.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
When I became familiar with the handling I drove it much harder into corners, The thing is with the alignment that if it was adjusted wrongly the second alignment bloke would have picked that up and it was out, but only very minor. I'm convinced that body sway changes the camber, and if you disagree prove me wrong.

It could be a camber issue, a toe issue or even a bush worn...But without a report I'd be clutching at straws

I have no way to prove you wrong.....

So if you want to waste money buying a sway in an attempt to fix the problem, that's your choice.

I've given my opinion, so I'll leave the rest in your court...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Is this car lowered? As VC said I don't recall people having issues with VEs scrubbing tyres unless they are really low.

Even lowered VE's don't have issues....The camber and toe adjustment range with these is very generous to say the least, unlike the earlier Commodores..

And honestly it does sound like the OP has it in their head that the problem can be fixed with a different sway bar, so I will leave them go that direction.....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Even lowered VE's don't have issues....The camber and toe adjustment range with these is very generous to say the least, unlike the earlier Commodores..

And honestly it does sound like the OP has it in their head that the problem can be fixed with a different sway bar, so I will leave them go that direction.....
Depends on how low. Mine is low and it's fine. However, there are owners out there that have about 60-70mm clearance. These are the only ones I hear about having issues with camber related tyre wear.

Agree sway bar will do little to help tyre wear. Especially when it's wearing the insides. I have an 18mm here to fit to mine, when I can be bothered.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Our Calais scrubbed the inner edges of the tyres.