Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

U Pull It is slowly dying

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
Unlikely.

doesn't live here.

hope you find the seller for the driveline purchase. I think someguy is sorted for interior bits.

haven't sold a white ute recently
Yeah you had the old white skid pig ute for sale on Marketplace a while back just up from gawler, it was while I was o/s, I saw the price was a bit high, might explain why it hasn’t sold. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Yeah you had the old white skid pig ute for sale on Marketplace a while back just up from gawler, it was while I was o/s, I saw the price was a bit high, might explain why it hasn’t sold. ;)
You don’t know what you think you know. Skid pig was never for sale. We are not selling a white ute, you have us confused with someone else.

A white VP ute and a white VS ute are not the same ute ;)

Hole Denn

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoleDens
You don’t know what you think you know. Skid pig was never for sale. We are not selling a white ute, you have us confused with someone else.

A white VP ute and a white VS ute are not the same ute ;)
;)
;)

DougWhiffin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Holden Commodore 1993
prices for salvage commies at pickles in adelaide have been high, ive bought from melb and sydney even one car from brisbane as was
don't forget to peep those online salvage auctions! You might just trip over some sweet hidden treasures from all 'round the place, and you don't even gotta budge from your sofa

Last edited:

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
don't forget to peep those online salvage auctions! You might just trip over some sweet hidden treasures from all 'round the place, and you don't even gotta budge from your sofa
So many interstate bidders on those e-salvage. Surely can’t be worth buying from NSW and transporting. Else it’s shill bidding……

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Wrecking yards in general are dying, especially self serve ones. Even UPI Elizabeth is looking pretty sad these days, stock hangs around forever and doesn't circulate.

IMO Marketplace and backyarders are killing them off. Half the time it's cheaper and quicker to find someone local wrecking the car you need than it is to go to these yards. On top of that the EPA's on their ass constantly about polluting the ground and the public liability insurance is off the scale for people coming in and pulling parts themselves.

That being said I'll miss UPI when they are gone. I haven't been much lately as their stock of 2nd gen commodores are drying up. They are mainly getting VT-VE now.

The margins for running a self serve yard would be razor razor thin, I'd hate to see how little their staff get paid.
My first job was working at a wrecking yard. It’s sad to see them go and all the ones that were UPI around my way closed up years ago.

Your reasons for them disappearing are on the money but one thing I would add is that most people generally don’t work on their own cars anymore, which is where most of their business came from.

The proliferation of cheap eBay aftermarket parts would also have made an impact. In my day when I was growing up you basically had new (expensive) genuine parts or secondhand (cheap) genuine parts at the wreckers. There weren’t really any other options for a lot of part so unless you were made of money then off to the wreckers you went.

I’ve been part of the problem as well as I haven’t been to a wrecking yard for many years now (well over a decade) as I generally have enough money to buy new parts now instead of secondhand ones.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
So many interstate bidders on those e-salvage. Surely can’t be worth buying from NSW and transporting. Else it’s shill bidding……
prices are so high in sa i've bought a few cars from interstate and enjoy a road trip. Price of fuel now makes that not profitable atm

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
prices are so high in sa i've bought a few cars from interstate and enjoy a road trip. Price of fuel now makes that not profitable atm

Have a mate that works in a wrecking yard.....His boss buys truck loads from interstate so he can make a buck...He generally looks at ones that have good motors and/or gearboxes that sell quickly, so he makes his money quick smart....From there, the rest is cream on top

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
His boss buys truck loads from interstate so he can make a buck
I've bought most of my cars from interstate.

The used car market is 10x larger on the east coast which leads to better prices on cars due to availability.

Went to QLD to get a Lexus for the old man which was $11k cheaper than any for sale in SA.